Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 30, 2010, 12:58 PM   #1

Default Canon 5D Mk. 11 - how good is it ?

One camera that I've been quite impressed with the reviews, etc...is the Canon 5D Mk. 11.

The fact that it is a full framer, ruggedly built and from what I understand is an excellent picture taker.

I wouldn't mind having one, if my personal economics dictated.

Questions I have about this camera:

• Is the extra expense for the full frame worth the extra money compared say to a good cropped factor camera such as the Canon 7D, Nikon D300s, Pentax K7....would I notice a quality difference in the final product...the picture from the 5D Mk. 11, compared to the 7d, D300s, K7 ?
  • I realize it has a metal (think Magnesium-alloy ?) body and that it is also weather sealed...so I'm assuming it's more then robust to take 25 below winter temps. Would it fit in the pro or semi pro category...I'm assuming pro, but I don't know.
  • I can buy one (body) now in Canada for under $ 2500 CAD...the price has gone down significantly...don't know if this means Canon plan to intro a Mk. 111 soon, or if it is in response to the low price FF...Sony A850 ? Either way, this price reduction makes the 5D even more of an appealing camera.
  • I've never read anything negative about the 5D, Mk. 11...so I'm assuming it is an excellent camera...durable, reliable...capable of pro work.
  • Canon Lenses i wouldn't mind having with this full framer (If providence smiled on me and I was able to purchase) would include the Canon 17-40mm L F 4 wide angle and the Canon 400 L F 5.6 lens. I'm sure the 17-40 is Full frame compatible, not sure if the 400 mm F 5.6 is compatible with the Full Frame.
  • I understand that both the Canon 17-40 L and the 400 F 5.6 are excellent, pro level lenses ?
Any comments welcome. Thanks in advance.

Les

Last edited by lesmore49; Jun 30, 2010 at 1:01 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2010, 1:49 PM   #2

what do u shoot..

if u dont do sports or wildlife, u can forget the other cameras. for landscape, macro and portraits there is nothing as good as the 5D mark II....i would say D700 but heck, the 21MP will produce details just unbelievable for poster size prints..
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 2:09 PM   #3

Both lens that you spoke of (17-40L and 400) are EF series lens. That means that they ar compatable with all of the EOS series cameras.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 2:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymphetamine View Post
what do u shoot..

if u dont do sports or wildlife, u can forget the other cameras. for landscape, macro and portraits there is nothing as good as the 5D mark II....i would say D700 but heck, the 21MP will produce details just unbelievable for poster size prints..
I do wildlife, vintage car pictures, landscapes...no sports. What I do is mostly use my wide angle, 300 mm, macro...for car and wildlife portraits. Not a lot of BIF, but occasionally I do BIF.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 2:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by waoldrifleman View Post
Both lens that you spoke of (17-40L and 400) are EF series lens. That means that they ar compatable with all of the EOS series cameras.
Thank you for confirming. I was unsure. Thanks again.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 4:39 PM   #6

The 5DMKII is not as good for action shoots as the d700, but it is not that bad at 5fps. So it will do a decent job on bif's. But for the subject you shoot, the 5D will pay dividends for printing larger with the 21mp.

EF lenses will fit on all eos bodies, EF-s will only fit on aps-c bodies.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 5:55 PM   #7
Super Moderator

It's a tough one to decide for sure if going FF with the 5DmkII will be a wise use of money or not. People always say that for landscape/wide angle etc then it is a good move, but the APS-C lens options now are great that it's no longer the case. Also for your wildlife you might find not being on a crop body that you are not getting enough pixels on target for your desired printing needs.

As most people know, I'm single handedly trying to keep Canon in business as I have 6 of their dSLRs including the 5DmkII and 7D. If you want low light shooting, then this is seriously where the 5DmkII (and Nikon D700) blow away other options. I still look at photos taken on the 5DmkII and get blown away by the high ISO ability, ISO1600 is almost fully clean and using ISO 3200 is not something that I even start to worry about. On the 7D (and similarly with the D300s), I would start thinking about noise from ISO 800 so you are gaining about 1-1.5 stops of shooting ability with these bodies.

The 5DmkII for me is my go to camera for portraits and is my prime wedding body. That is then usually backed up by the 1DmkIII with a telephoto lens on for the tighter shots as this still handles noise much more nicely than the 7D. The 7D is a great all rounder with a better AF than the 5DmkII making it a lovely body to work with.

If you like ultimate quality and low noise with high resolution then the 5DmkII is the way ahead, if you want to crop to APS-C size with it you still get over 8mp image size so not bad but not like hitting the subject with 18mp of the 7D.

I love mine, it went on honeymoon with me so that's how much I value the quality that I didn't mind the extra weight of that and the 24-105 and 580 flash.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 3:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
It's a tough one to decide for sure if going FF with the 5DmkII will be a wise use of money or not. People always say that for landscape/wide angle etc then it is a good move, but the APS-C lens options now are great that it's no longer the case. Also for your wildlife you might find not being on a crop body that you are not getting enough pixels on target for your desired printing needs.

As most people know, I'm single handedly trying to keep Canon in business as I have 6 of their dSLRs including the 5DmkII and 7D. If you want low light shooting, then this is seriously where the 5DmkII (and Nikon D700) blow away other options. I still look at photos taken on the 5DmkII and get blown away by the high ISO ability, ISO1600 is almost fully clean and using ISO 3200 is not something that I even start to worry about. On the 7D (and similarly with the D300s), I would start thinking about noise from ISO 800 so you are gaining about 1-1.5 stops of shooting ability with these bodies.

The 5DmkII for me is my go to camera for portraits and is my prime wedding body. That is then usually backed up by the 1DmkIII with a telephoto lens on for the tighter shots as this still handles noise much more nicely than the 7D. The 7D is a great all rounder with a better AF than the 5DmkII making it a lovely body to work with.

If you like ultimate quality and low noise with high resolution then the 5DmkII is the way ahead, if you want to crop to APS-C size with it you still get over 8mp image size so not bad but not like hitting the subject with 18mp of the 7D.I have some friends...one has a 5D, one has a 7d...very impressive equipment, IMO.

As you say...I like top quality, low noise in my pix...used to use medium format...still have my Mamiya film system( 3 lenses, etc.).

Currently I use my Pentax K10D, KM bodies...and for vintage cars use my Pentax 12-24 mm and Pentax 50 mm Macro F2.8...sometimes 50 mm Normal F1.4 and Fisheye F 3.5, 10-17.

I use 200 ISO, shoot out doors and I'm very satisfied with the clarity, colour rendition this equipment produces....particularly the 12-24mm....and the 50 MM Macro....actually all four lenses I mentioned are very sharp.

But...I have to admit...I keep thinking about full frame vs cropped....which is why if I ever did change systems...would go 5D, rather then 7D.

If I ever did decide to go FF, think before I made the plunge....a good idea might be to rent a 5D, Mk. 11 with a 17-40 and do a comparo shoot....same subject...same lighting conditions...vs my K10D, 12-24mm.

I have little doubt that the FF would be # 1...but I would like to see by how much.

Big decision to change systems , especially considering the $$ already invested....so I would want to be sure.

I love mine, it went on honeymoon with me so that's how much I value the quality that I didn't mind the extra weight of that and the 24-105 and 580 flash.
I've checked out your pix...excellent quality....also like the pix with that 580 flash.

Last edited by lesmore49; Jul 2, 2010 at 3:02 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 5:38 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
I've checked out your pix...excellent quality....also like the pix with that 580 flash.
Thanks, although I still have soooo much to learn but each time I'm out I hopefully get a little better. Shooting an engagement tomorrow so hoping to give something a little different a bash.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 5:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Thanks, although I still have soooo much to learn but each time I'm out I hopefully get a little better. Shooting an engagement tomorrow so hoping to give something a little different a bash.
I agree...the more I shoot, the more I learn. Although I have been involved in photography for around 42 years, I find that just about every time I go out shooting, I learn more.

Right now....photography in difficult lighting situations is my greatest challenge.

Trial and error...using digital is a particularly effective teacher...especially compared to my film days. With film, I could never recall what I've done wrong, by the time I developed the film.

With digital...the immediacy of the image enables me to figure out where I went wrong right away.