Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 18, 2003, 2:59 PM   #11

something in this thread is confusing to me...

My digital Rebel came with PS Elements 2.0, is that not the case south of the border? Unless you need the full version why spend any money? i.e. why buy Paintshop when you get Elements?

I would be sure to get the 18-55 mm kit lens, you can't buy it after the fact and it's pretty good for the price. The great thing about an SLR system is that you always get more lenses including the 50mm lens.

As far as that 75-300mm lens goes...I have one and I don't find it very useful. At the short end of the zoom it's pretty good but at 300mm you need to use a tripod - it's the equivalent of a 510mm lens. Most people don't need that much zoom but they are available at a good price.

my two cents...
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2003, 3:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa
something in this thread is confusing to me...

My digital Rebel came with PS Elements 2.0, is that not the case south of the border? Unless you need the full version why spend any money? i.e. why buy Paintshop when you get Elements?

Unless you want some of the full featured aspects of Photoshop CS such as RAW file handling, 16 bit files, more advanced tools, etc, there is not a need to go with anything more than PS Elements that came with your Rebel. It is a great little program that will do most of the photo adjustments that one may need. It is a lot more powerful than many give it credit. There are many editing programs available. People like choices and options. Some swear by Paintshop Pro -- others swear AT it.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2003, 8:31 PM   #13

I have one 256MB card and a second one will be arriving in the mail any day now. While I agree that 512 or 1GB are better, my bank account simply was not capable of handling the onslaught.

I'll probably get a bigger card someday, but when you consider you can get about 80 Jpegs on a single 256MB card, it's not too bad. I also tend to bring my laptop with me so emptying the cards is no big deal.

That reminds me: You need a CF card reader, either USB 2.0, Firewire or, if you have a laptop, cardbus. You don't want to use the USB 1.0 built into your Digi Rebel, especially if you have those bigger cards.
echaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 8:23 AM   #14

Ursa,

My choice of the 75-300mm zoom is because I do a lot of baseball and soccer photos and I feel that lens will serve me well. I use either a tripod or monopod a lot so that would be no problem. Your 2 cents is always welcome.

How do you like your Rebel? ANy bad points you have found?
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 1:31 AM   #15

For only $100 the extra lens is definitely worth it, if only to have something if you decide to upgrade and sell the camera later. I found a 512mb Sandisk CF card at circuit city for only $79 after the $30 mail in rebate.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 3:02 AM   #16

[quote="SBSB"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
A spare battery was down at the bottom. And I agree completely, they are a must.

I just got my camera and the battery still shows full after about 150 shots. I really don't see why you would need a spare battery. How many shots would you have to take to run it all the way down?
Once i checked my equipment in my camera bag (cleaned lenses, charged the battery and that type of things). When took my camera from the bag the next late morning the battery was flat, somehow the camera switched on while i stuffed it in my bag. I was glad i carried 2 spares.
Marc H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 11:47 AM   #17

Not trying to start a "class warfare" battle here, but I think a fair assumption would be that the need for PS CS is roughly in line with the need/use of a Digi Rebel and 10D or better. Most Rebel owners are generally motivated (JMO, pls no flames) by two things: lower cost/performance with room to expand and less need for the complex feature set of the 10D's and up. This would make them less likely to "need" the extra features in PS CS vs. some nice image proggies costing less, but still adequate. The white balance and other adjustable features of the cameras vs. the programs is an example.

I agree with most of the rest already stated : batteries ($12 online), lenses of best quality you can afford, etc.

If you think the learning curve of the extra features of the 10D is tricky, wait until you try to "master" PS CS. And if $$ is the factor, there is no question which way to go. This is not a putdown of the Rebel or other image programs in any way. Just what may be a real world "line in the sand" to think about before contemplating the dizzying array of add-ons once you dive into each camera and its abilities. Will you/can you use them and is the extra $$ worth it to you.
flint350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 1:05 PM   #18

I strongly concur with the CF card reader suggestion; my firewire card reader just arrived and it is amazingly fast!

I realize there is some debate about this, but it has worked out to be a great accessory for me: a UV filter. Someone on another board told me it was great "cheap insurance." I'm often taking pictures of my nieces and nephews, and their instinct is to reach out to touch the lens. I'm also so "careful" with the stupid camera, that I was often cradling it in such a way that I kept almost touching the lens--rather ironic, I know. So, perhaps this is just good advice for us overprotective newbies, but it has worked out great for me; I can just clean the thing to my heart's content!

A battery and another memory card will probably be my next purchases, but I am very curious about getting a flash, too.
lizdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 3:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizdesign
I strongly concur with the CF card reader suggestion; my firewire card reader just arrived and it is amazingly fast!

I realize there is some debate about this, but it has worked out to be a great accessory for me: a UV filter. Someone on another board told me it was great "cheap insurance." I'm often taking pictures of my nieces and nephews, and their instinct is to reach out to touch the lens. I'm also so "careful" with the stupid camera, that I was often cradling it in such a way that I kept almost touching the lens--rather ironic, I know. So, perhaps this is just good advice for us overprotective newbies, but it has worked out great for me; I can just clean the thing to my heart's content!

A battery and another memory card will probably be my next purchases, but I am very curious about getting a flash, too.
A UV just for protection isn't crazy, its just good sense. A couple of weeks ago i went to the beach, during a light storm, took some great shots, came home, and discovered some fatty or oil based junk on my UV i could not clean off. I tossed the dirty one away, and placed a spare UV. I dont want to think about what it would cost to have the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 lens professionally cleaned.
Marc H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 6:43 PM   #20

Default deadpixeltest.exe

I didn't see any more on this. This is new to me. Can someone please enlighten as to its use and whereabouts? Thanks.
tenfourk is offline   Reply With Quote