Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 16, 2010, 7:13 PM   #1

Default one mans opinion on video

i for one think video on a dslr is like having one on a phone .a big waste.give me a phone i can make and receive calls on and give me a dslr that works better than the previous model.if i want a video camera i will buy a video camera . i would much rather the manufacturer take the cost of adding the video and either make the camera a little better or just reduce the cost of the dslr.no matter how good the video gets, it will not be as good as a separate video camera.i am a canon owner and love my cameras with no video.i got that off my chest and i feel much better.
camerageak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2010, 8:07 PM   #2

Can't see your point, out that you feel much better now, which is always good.
There're pros out there doing superb videos with dslrs.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 8:21 PM   #3

I made one video with my Nikon D90.

What it shows is how much easier it is to get good video from a camcorder.

Last edited by TCav; Jul 17, 2010 at 4:09 PM. Reason: sp
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 3:44 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I didn't think I would like it, but I do. Very much. Means I don't need to carry two cameras. Huge potential, but a much worse interface than a video camera, and it's very hard to deal with the shallow DOF. Even so, better to have it than not.

Quote:
no matter how good the video gets, it will not be as good as a separate video camera.
Well that's not true even now. The quality available from my 5D2 and L lenses is higher than any video camera I've seen, unless you are talking very expensive pro cameras. And when you add lenses like those now coming available from Zeiss the potential is amazing. Did you see the episode of House that they made with a 5D2? Would they really have done that if the quality was way below par?

Last edited by peripatetic; Jul 17, 2010 at 3:52 PM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:31 PM   #5

i guess my complaint is i don't want video with my camera but i am forced to pay the additional cost.i would much rather they used the cost to improve the camera itself. i have a 50d body i use for weddings and i was going to get a 7d and keep the 50d as a backup but it just irritated me that i can't upgrade without having to pay for video which i don't want or need. so i bought a 2nd 50d body which i really like anyway.they just need to make 2 versions for those who do and those who don't want video.
camerageak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 7:43 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerageak View Post
i guess my complaint is i don't want video with my camera but i am forced to pay the additional cost.i would much rather they used the cost to improve the camera itself. i have a 50d body i use for weddings and i was going to get a 7d and keep the 50d as a backup but it just irritated me that i can't upgrade without having to pay for video which i don't want or need. so i bought a 2nd 50d body which i really like anyway.they just need to make 2 versions for those who do and those who don't want video.

I really don't think that including video has added much to the camera as it already as live view (50D and up) so it is only the recording portion which is software so very nominal at a guess.

What you are really paying for with the 7D is the higher shooting speed and improved AF system.

I have 3 dSLRs with video and can say that it is a great to have for just shooting something while out and also when put to good use with a tripod/stabilisation system it is simply outstanding. I shot Christmas carols illuminated only by low power street lights but with the 50mm f1.8 and the high ISO could get video that never was possible with a video cam.

Although I've not incorporated it into any wedding stuff as yet, I've seen some really amazing work of photographers adding some moving image into their presentations.

Lastly, I think you will find very few new cameras released now that will be without video as they are on the entry level so I'm sure the 60D or whatever it is called will have it. It's like AF Focus, it's on my camera but I never use it, sure it cost a little to have but I'm not concerned it is there.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 1:57 AM   #7
Super Moderator

There is no real cost to the feature:

Firstly the features themselves are electronic, putting the features into a chip and firmware doesn't cost anything in the production.

Secondly the development costs are shared across a huge number of units - remember it's essentially the same image processing pipeline (the digic chip) used across P&S and all the DSLRs.

It's a free feature, don't sweat it. :-)
Old Jul 18, 2010, 9:28 PM   #8

I shoot TV news for a living and I always have my 7D near by. I bought the 7D for stills, but I have used my 7D to shoot in places where my 3 chip full sized ENG video camera is too large. It also is pretty nice to be able to shoot with my Tokina 12-24 and shoot in a car or aircraft and not have a 30 lb camera on my shoulder.
DSLR's have revolutionized the video industry with low cost, super high quality, HD video in a compact package.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote