Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:45 PM   #1

Default Canon T1i --Question

Hi. I just purchased a Canon T1i, and I want to order a remote control switch to allow me to take photos on tripod when it's necessary (night shots, fireworks, etc). On occasion, I may also want to step into a family photo and have the ability to remotely control the camera.

Does anyone have experience with the best remote switch to buy? The wireless models are the RC-1 and the RC-5, and the corded model is the RS-60E3?

Could someone point me in the right direction?
jwcosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:51 PM   #2

they both work, but with the RC, it is line of site IR system, so you need to fire the remote infront of the camera, not a big issue at all. But the remote range is about 15-20 feet only. but it works fine for getting into the photo. I have the cord one, and I use it when I am behind the camera.

You can get knock off of both the IR and cord ones on ebay. Just type in the model number. And tons will pop up.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 1, 2010 at 3:59 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 7:33 PM   #3

i got the phottix cleon for my sony. they make it for canon too. it uses a small piece that plugs into the camera. that's the receiver. the transmitter is rf. the receiver can be stuck into the hot shoe just to hold it if you like. works fine.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=26615314
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 4:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcosta View Post
Hi. I just purchased a Canon T1i, and I want to order a remote control switch to allow me to take photos on tripod when it's necessary (night shots, fireworks, etc). On occasion, I may also want to step into a family photo and have the ability to remotely control the camera.

Does anyone have experience with the best remote switch to buy? The wireless models are the RC-1 and the RC-5, and the corded model is the RS-60E3?

Could someone point me in the right direction?
You can get an IR remote shutter release for about $5 on eBay. One of
these would be perfect for what you want to do. Range is only 10-20ft.
I use one for night shots.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:31 AM   #5

The thing to remember about the Canon wireless remotes is that there is a 2 second delay between when you press the button on the remote and when the camera takes the picture. While this may not seem to be a big deal, try keeping a young child in the same place, smiling and not doing anything for 2 seconds. I bought a cheap wired remote for low light shots and will use the self timer for shots that I want to be in (same issues as the remote).
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by waoldrifleman View Post
The thing to remember about the Canon wireless remotes is that there is a 2 second delay between when you press the button on the remote and when the camera takes the picture. While this may not seem to be a big deal, try keeping a young child in the same place, smiling and not doing anything for 2 seconds. I bought a cheap wired remote for low light shots and will use the self timer for shots that I want to be in (same issues as the remote).
I don't believe that this is accurate. The Canon IR remote can trigger the shutter instantly, or with a 2-second delay. There is a switch that allows the user to decide how the unit fires. This is overall the best option, although I must say that I own both the IR remote and the corded remote.
Player9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2010, 4:59 PM   #7

another vote for a phottix cleon - works a treat as a wired/wireless remote, did not have any problems with it for the last year or so. They have an updated version:
http://www.phottix.com/wireless-remo...-cleon-ii.html

They say it's working distance is up to 100m, but haven't tried it from more than 30m, up to 30m works great
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2010, 5:21 PM   #8

I first got the IR remote. When I realized I'd have to be IN FRONT of the camera to use it, I started looking for a better solution. The cleon II was it.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote