Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 29, 2010, 4:46 PM   #11

I would have to agree with you Mark on the 7D. As for the noise at high ISO, I have seen an interesting change in later production 7D's. My first 7D was early production, bought in October 09 and my most recent was purchased last week. After setting up my new 7D and looking at some test shots the new 7D seems to have slightly lower noise in chroma and especially in the shadow detail.
I would also add that the 7D is an excellent landscape and nature camera. Check my Flickr page for some, actually several hundred, examples. flickr.com/photos/bobshrader
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 3:48 PM   #12

Id go the 5DII or the 1DIV. Depends on what you want out of the camera. If you can do with much lower FPS and a quicker filling buffer go for the 5DII if you need fast then the MKIV is best for anything that moves. 7D is OK bang for the buck but I find the images markedly softer than even a 50D. I bought a 7D and sold it almost immidiately. Shot a couple of games using it as a second body with a 70-200 2.8L and a MKIII & 400 2.8L. The images can be sharpened a bit in CS but I have a thing about losing sharpeness just over a different body with the same conditions. I also found the AI servo not as responsive with far too much hunting going on.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 6:14 PM   #13
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
Id go the 5DII or the 1DIV. Depends on what you want out of the camera. If you can do with much lower FPS and a quicker filling buffer go for the 5DII if you need fast then the MKIV is best for anything that moves. 7D is OK bang for the buck but I find the images markedly softer than even a 50D. I bought a 7D and sold it almost immidiately. Shot a couple of games using it as a second body with a 70-200 2.8L and a MKIII & 400 2.8L. The images can be sharpened a bit in CS but I have a thing about losing sharpeness just over a different body with the same conditions. I also found the AI servo not as responsive with far too much hunting going on.
I would has at a guess that you had a bad copy of the 7D (regards AF), mine performs in a more similar way to the 1DmkIII than the xxD series of my 5D/5DmkIIs. As for sharpness, I turn jpg sharpening down so that I can do sharpening in post with a better sharpening tool and even so they are plenty sharp enough. Sure my 1DmkIII does a better job, and the mkIV would do better again, but from the general sound of it the 1DmkIV is a huge over spend for the OP for the gains that will be seen in their use. Better gains would be had putting the right glass in front of a slightly lesser camera.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 9:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
I would has at a guess that you had a bad copy of the 7D (regards AF), mine performs in a more similar way to the 1DmkIII than the xxD series of my 5D/5DmkIIs. As for sharpness, I turn jpg sharpening down so that I can do sharpening in post with a better sharpening tool and even so they are plenty sharp enough. Sure my 1DmkIII does a better job, and the mkIV would do better again, but from the general sound of it the 1DmkIV is a huge over spend for the OP for the gains that will be seen in their use. Better gains would be had putting the right glass in front of a slightly lesser camera.
Truth be known I had the same with 2 bodies, returned first and tried second with similar results. I always shoot raw+jpegM2, jpegs are for quick cull for sporting events only, all final images are batch processed from raw files. I thought the focus maybe off a bit and tried stopping down to get a wider DOF and still made images shot with a razor sharp 400 2.8L softer than on a 50D and of course not close to the MKIII so it wasnt focus, its the sensor or AA filter or whatever they are putting in front of it. Sure you can sharpen in PP but thats only going so far and you lose the abiltiy to crop as much when you start off with a lesser raw file. I cant speak for what the OP really needs, not too clear on primary interest. I did note though the the gear list didnt have many primes which for the most part will always yeild better images than a zoom. I do agree ...Glass>body. I was looking to have a lighter second body with the 7D but my route now is going to be upgrading 1 of my MKIII's with a MKIV.

Last edited by JustinThyme; Aug 19, 2010 at 9:46 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 7:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
Truth be known I had the same with 2 bodies, returned first and tried second with similar results. I always shoot raw+jpegM2, jpegs are for quick cull for sporting events only, all final images are batch processed from raw files. I thought the focus maybe off a bit and tried stopping down to get a wider DOF and still made images shot with a razor sharp 400 2.8L softer than on a 50D and of course not close to the MKIII so it wasnt focus, its the sensor or AA filter or whatever they are putting in front of it. Sure you can sharpen in PP but thats only going so far and you lose the abiltiy to crop as much when you start off with a lesser raw file. I cant speak for what the OP really needs, not too clear on primary interest. I did note though the the gear list didnt have many primes which for the most part will always yeild better images than a zoom. I do agree ...Glass>body. I was looking to have a lighter second body with the 7D but my route now is going to be upgrading 1 of my MKIII's with a MKIV.
Hmm. My 7D's are markedly sharper than my 50D's were. Like Mark, I lower the detail on my 7D's so that I can produce cleaner images. The 50D is a very nice camera, but from my experience the 7D produces better images with more latitude than the 50D. The 50D required just the opposite. A bit higher detail setting.
Comparing the 7D to the 5DII or the 1DmkIV defeats the purpose of Canon's ranking of their product. Canon has always had multiple levels of camera grade, both pro and consumer. Before switching to digital, I used a 1N with an A2 for back-up. With digital it is a bit different, due to the camera body dictating the initial image quality, where with film the film stock and glass were the prime consideration.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:32 PM   #16

You guys have a totally different workflow than I have, Jpeg conversion is the last thing i do in post process. I always start with raw files and save a tiff so I dont degrade the IQ at every edit as seen in jpegs. I set everything on the camera to minimum process so I dont slow it down and fill the buffer as fast as the jpegs I save are smaller and for preview purposes only, I never put out a final image that started with an in camera jpeg. I have noted the softer images and they have been noted on multiple review sites as well, with all of them saying much the same as you are, to lower the settings and sharpen in post process. I tried 2, that was enough for me. I found the images from the 50D to produce better end results at the loss of a few MP and 3 FPS. My wife shoots the 50D most of the time, Im generally using 1D bodies.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 1:21 PM   #17
Super Moderator

The important thing is that you have cameras you are happy with. For me the 7D works as a great compromise camera, I don't always want to take my 1DmkIII out and put extra actuations on it when what I'm shooting is just for fun and the 7D produces results (for me at least) close enough not to worry at all. The AF works great (if configured properly) and the general speed of the camera is wonderful. I do also shoot in RAW and there is more than enough sharpness at per pixel level, sure, my 5DmkII knocks spots off of it but again as an all round shooter it does the job.

Also when I compare to my 5DmkII and 1DmkIII it has to be remembered that the individual pixels are considerably smaller. For me the 7D is a great all round camera that has the edge over everything apart from the 1 series for sports. Is the price of a 1DmkIV worth it for anyone other that pro sports shooters..... I would say no, I would put the money into glass etc.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 5:11 PM   #18

In the end its all about what you are happy with. My wife still says she doesnt get the hype over HD TV, looks the same to her. LOL
Im very much the perfectionist with close attention to details. Yes I still use a loupe on printed images and I pixel peep.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 8:31 PM   #19
Super Moderator

That's very true. I do pixel peep but don't go as far as the loupe on printed as I know that my clients are not going to be going that far so it's all OK. As for the HD TV, it's a must have
Old Aug 24, 2010, 8:50 PM   #20

The wife says HD is a man thing becuse she doesnt get it. Once I got my first one I cant go back. Even have a 42" in the BR. I go to bed and the wife is watching something and she gives me a funny look when I take the remote and switch it to the same thing but in HD.
As for the loupe If It doest meet my expectations Im not passing it on to a client whether they notice or not.

Last edited by JustinThyme; Aug 24, 2010 at 8:55 PM.