Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 26, 2010, 7:54 PM   #1

Default Canon 1D Mark IV and a Sekonic 758DR

Anyone out there use a Canon 1D Mark IV and a Sekonic 758DR in conjunction with one another?

What are the best uses? places? Do you recommend the Exposure Profile target? the lens hood? synchro cords with a 580x and MT-24EX.

Dont want to go pull the trigger on it without some input...

I am a macro photographer in the outdoors and in the macro studio (closet). I also am big into shooting wildlife and landscape.
cjglancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2010, 2:47 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I doubt that there is anyone using that combo here. There are a few of us who have 1DmkIIIs but as I use mine for sports I'm not working with a light meter. I do have the entry level Sekonic but only used in the studio and very few others here have talked about using meters so not sure you will find out what you desire.

If you are into wildlife then the mkIV is a good option, but a huge amount of money for someone majorly shooting macro.

How much budget do you have, and what lenses are you using/looking at getting as there is no point going for such a good body then putting basic glass on it.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 8:40 AM   #3

Mark, I love that you will put an answer out there... its appreciated.

I am a little sick when it comes to lens. this is what I am working with...

EF 24-70mm f/2.8L (when are they going to upgrade this lens!)
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS
EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro
EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II
EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II
TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II (used for architecture and some landscape... price paid still has not been recouped)
Old Jul 27, 2010, 2:26 PM   #4
Super Moderator

OK so you've already good a good set of lenses, if you are on an APS-C body you will notice an obvious wider view with each of them so they won't reach out so far.

What current camera do you have and what are the flaws that are making you think of the 1DmkIV?

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 7:49 PM   #5

I had a 5D which was recently stolen with a bunch of other equipment. Instead of buying the 5D... I thought I should take the opportunity to upgrade my body since the 5D was 5 years old or so.

I have not used a light meter previously and want to take my photography to the next level, hence the thinking of buying a Sektonic.

It seems moving to the 1D will possible have more features than I already dont know what to do with but what the hell.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 1:48 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Ah, in that case you will notice your lenses seeming a bit longer going from full frame to APC-H (1.3x crop). This will be helpful for wildlife and macro.

For me, unless I had unlimited money, or unless shooting wildlife or sports professionally (the main reasons for the mkIV) then would consider something a bit less and putting the money into glass.... that is just me. The problem is, when talking less then it is either 7D (great camera, I have one in my kit), but it isn't too good at high ISO when I compare to my 5DmkII or 1DmkIII...... even the original 5D is better..... however the AF is great on the 7D so I still really enjoy using it. You could even go 7D and 5DmkII and save $1000 over the 1DmkIV. So many options to consider and I don't know your situation enough or you shooting desires and uses (pro, fun etc) to really help much more than that.

Oh with the light meter, if this is just to play around with for now then get the 308 or 358 at most as honestly you will probably not make much use out of it. I'm planning to start using mine more for outdoor shoots as the person who runs a training course I'm taking (and has 17 Kodak Gold awards to his name) swears by this method for accurate and fast shooting reducing the PP time which I won't complain about.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 5:47 AM   #7

Well it is down to the 5D Mark II and the 1D Mark IV. The purchase will probably be this weekend.

I am not a pro, but have the budget for whatever I want. I dont want to have to second geuss my purchase.

If I went 5D MII I would probably also invest in a EF 65mm 1-5x Macro. Get a new perspective on my macros but it isnt the best lens to add.

Are there any threads that compare the 5D Mark II and 1D Mark IV on here? From what I read on the web, the way to go hands down will be the latter. This is supposed to be especially true when it comes to wildlife and macros, my primary focus.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 7:25 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Yes for wildlife the 1DmkIV is the better camera, then again the 7D with 500mm f4 would be better than the mkIV with the 100-400 until the light goes down.

If you did portrait then I would still go 5DmkII but that's the only real place for it over the 1DmkIV.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 8:26 AM   #9

Looking at the mo-mo... I cannot justify spending double...

Looks like I am staying in the 5D family. Hopefully the 5D MKIII will have SUCH amazing upgrades I will justify the immediate jump.

Until then... I will have another $2500 in my pocket.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:07 AM   #10
Super Moderator

I would seriously look at the 7D if it is for wildlife and macro, the AF on the 5DmkII isn't nearly as fast and having the 8fps of the 7D is great for wildlife. There are not many using it here, but check out fm forums in the wildlife section and search 7D to see some great work.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.