Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:59 PM   #1

Default Camera flash enquiry

Hi,
(my first post ),

I still own two SLR's (AE-1 & AE-1+program) along with all the paraphenalia that goes with it.
I have (since the kids) converted to D-SLR and now own a 450D. I have up until now used the inbuilt flash with pretty good results.

However I was contemplating in using my somewhat old 188A flash that I once used for the film camreras.

My question is can you see any problems with doing that? I have not yet tried it (which I will in the appropriate settings).
I note that there are three Canon flashes available and if I would look at one it would be the middle version (?? 470ex ??), but the price is way up there for a flash.
I am a bit old school and would feel bad to just let this flash go to waste. Besides the old (film) cameras are not worth anything nowadays anyway!.

What things should I look out for with respect using the 188A flash on the digital camera.

If at the end of the day its not advisable I would have to consider purchasing one
Any advice would be tremendous.

Regards
Michael Yoni
Michael Yoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:04 PM   #2

get one design for the canon dslr. With ETTL and all the features, like adjusting the flash base on range. It will work better and give much better results. The old flash will not be good idea. If you are looking to save some money nissin di622 is a good flash and pretty inexpensive.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 3:54 PM   #3

One thing to be concerned about is most older flash units used a higher trigger voltage. If it's not EOS compatible, A-ttl or E-ttl, I would stay away from an older unit.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 4:00 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Trigger voltage is the problem, I would be very concerned. JimC might chime in as he knows loads on this subject.

The Canon 430 flash is great, I have one as my backup to my 2 580 flash units and can't complain at all about the performance. It's not cheap for sure but the results are lovely with the ability to tilt and rotate the head you are really able to vary the lighting for the best results.

There are some cheaper new options on the market but I've only used the Canon ones and have been very happy.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 6:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
There are some cheaper new options on the market but I've only used the Canon ones and have been very happy.
There was an interesting thread on this subject a while back:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...n467-550d.html
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 11:14 PM   #6

As mark said, the trigger voltage would be a problem. if you dont want to spend much, try the vivitar 285HV which will not have the trigger voltage problem. its cheap, completely manual and works very well.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 11:30 PM   #7

For the slight different in price between the yongnuo and nissin di622. I will hedge the bet with the nissin. You can find a store that sells them, and someone to call if you need service on it.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:32 AM   #8

The Nissin di622 is the better and more reliable "economy" external flash.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:57 AM   #9

According to this http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html you can use it.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:04 AM   #10

Thankyou to all that have replied and offered their opinion. I have looked into some of the sites you have suggested. All informitive (some is even gobbledegook). What is also terrific from the people here is that nobody has really pushed the high end items (which on some other sites on different subjects altogether) with the matching price tag.
A moving head would be a good feature to have. Several options provided here.

Once again thank you very much.

I will attempt to provide some photographic examples later of what I end up with later.

I am still learning the finer details of the camera!

Happy snapping
Michael Yoni
Michael Yoni is offline   Reply With Quote