Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 16, 2003, 8:24 PM   #1

Default If you own a D60 and a 1D...

then you might answer some questions for me. I may be buying a 1D, which I have drooled over since it came out, but bought the D60 so that I could also afford some lenses to put in the hole in the body :roll:

I love the D60, and held on to it despite the 10D 's better AF, because I really want the almost instant AF and good tracking ability of the 1D. I've been hoping for a camera with the 45pt AF of the EOS-3, or possibly that of the 1D, to come in between $2000 and $3000 in a year or so.

However, Canon's announcement about using FullFrame sensors for their Pro level cameras, and the 1.6X crop-factor for the consumer cameras makes me think that the camera I want will not be coming in the price range I want.

I am very much afraid that if I wait long enough, the camera I'm hoping for will be way more than $3000, and the 1D will be discontinued, and I'll be stuck, since I will never be able to spend more than $3000 on a camera body. What's your guess as to this scenario?

But the 1D is now available at that price. I know that the 1D's 4MP sensor is fine for 11x14 or larger images, and the number of keepers in my shooting of birds and other action shots would go way up with a 1D.

I tend to shoot lots of high contrast shots where the shadows and lower midtones get underexposed in order not to blow the highlights. On the D60, at ISO 400, or even at 200, this brings up great amounts of noise in the shadows when I rescue the shadow detail.

Is the noise in the 1D any worse than that of the D60?

Do you find the horizontal banding has been fixed by the 1D's firmware upgrades?

Is there any reason to put off getting the 1D now? My thinking is, that if it has been good enough to produce 2-page spreads for magazines, it should be fine compared with my D60 image quality, and I sure want the 1D's AF capabilities.

Last question: With the D60, I often go through 3 1G microdrives, which averages about 450 pix in a good day. How many 1D batteries would I need for that many shots, and can I get 3rd party batts for it at a lower cost? (I shoot RAW, and will continue to.)

Thanks. Sorry for being so long-winded here :evil:
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2003, 7:47 AM   #2

I cannot answer all your concerns but I do know where you can get cheaper batteries. I purchased some aftermarket BP-511 batteries at MyDigitalDiscount for about 1/3 what the Canon brand cost and they work as well or better than the Canon. Here is the URL:
http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/def...Path=65_99_100

I usually am ready to change batteries about the same time I use up a 1GB card but I don't shoot in RAW very much and you might use up the cards faster than the batteries that way.
Personally I am waiting until after the PMA annual convention to decide whether to buy the 1-D. That is where Canon traditionally announces their new cameras. I think they will replace the 1-D and hopefully leapfrog the Nikon D2H. Knowing Canon I think it is not likely to come in under $3000 though.
Stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2003, 11:40 PM   #3
-jb

Default Re: If you own a D60 and a 1D...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK
However, Canon's announcement about using FullFrame sensors for their Pro level cameras, and the 1.6X crop-factor for the consumer cameras...
Where did you read this?

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2003, 8:18 PM   #4

Here is the link to a Popular Photography statement about this:

http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?...&page_number=4
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2003, 8:59 PM   #5

I don't own the D60 or the 1D. I'd sure like one, but I can't justify the money. So I can't give you many direct answers, but maybe the info I do have can help.

I would go to http://www.imaging-resource.com

They normally have very good example pictures for all the cameras they review. That should help you a lot about your noise comparison. Your question about firmware upgrades and banding is a good one. I would be very surprised if they actually improved this, but technically it’s possible.

Unless you have f2.8 lenses, you won't get as much benefit from the 1D's AF system as you might like. This is because all those nice cross-type high performance sensors will only be normal precision. Check out this thread on dpreview that I read awhile back:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=4460128

So while you will get more cross-type sensors (which is a good thing) you won't get the full benefit from those high performance AF sensors unless you have F4 lenses (For the center AF point) and f2.8 for the other 6 HP sensors.

This is one of the reasons I won't get a 1D. My 100-400L wouldn't benefit much, other than it having more cross-type sensors.

A reason you might consider not getting the 1D for is that it's replacement is expected to be out within about… 4 months (a month or so after PMA.) If you could still find one for sale, they would probably be fairly cheap.

I’ve heard really bad things about the battery life of the 1D, but I never paid much attention (not getting it any ways.) You might want to look into this further.

Hope that helps.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2003, 10:22 PM   #6
-jb

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK
Here is the link to a Popular Photography statement about this:

http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?...&page_number=4
What an interesting site... their Report from Japan section is very interesting, although somewhat speculative... lots of thought provoking articles...

Thanks for the link...

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 12:29 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoner
I cannot answer all your concerns but I do know where you can get cheaper batteries. I purchased some aftermarket BP-511 batteries at MyDigitalDiscount for about 1/3 what the Canon brand cost and they work as well or better than the Canon. Here is the URL:
http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/def...Path=65_99_100

The Canon 1D does not use the BP511, it uses the NP-E3 NiMH battery and I haven't seen any 3rd-party alternatives for this battery pack.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2004, 8:33 AM   #8

Default About noise issues

I currently own a D30, and use the following technique for removing noise from low light, and long exposure shots. First remember to shoot a dark frame while you are taking your shots. The method that works for me is to reaquire the subject, lock focus, then snap on the lens cap, and fire. Then follow the procedure found here: http://www.dpreview.com/learn/Image_...t_Spots_01.htm This takes a few minutes the first several times, but once you get the hang of it, you can use this method for noise removal in just a couple of minutes. I take a lot of long exposure shots in astrophotography, and using this technique, I have been able to remove most of, if not all noise injected by the sensor. Just something to try.

Casey
rualert is offline   Reply With Quote