Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 26, 2010, 10:16 PM   #11

Default 60D vs. T2i

What 60D has that T2i lacks:

Medium and small RAW images
Pentaprism not pentamirror
1/8000 sec shutter speed
Flash sync at 1/250 rather than 1/200
5.3 shots per second rather than 3.7
Alternate 3/sec shooting mode
2.8% spot metering vs. 4%
Meters to EV 0 vs EV 1, better low light capability
9 cross type focusing sensors vs. 1
Storage of burst of 16 RAW shots in buffer vs. 6 with T2i
Articulated screen
In camera raw processing and special effects
Wireless flash control capability
LCD on top
Electronic level
Two control wheels

Last edited by ropp; Aug 26, 2010 at 10:55 PM.
ropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:03 PM   #12

Lets all watch as the 7D and 50D used prices tank! The 7d retail prices were already dropping From $1699 to currently $1549.
60D=7D-extra af points and 2.4FPS I dont know who is running Canons marketing dept but they need a foot up their [email protected]$. This just killed the 7D market to all but sports shooters. This was just like releasing the 5DII and tanking their sales on the 1DsMKIII whcih was the stupidedst move in their history. Who in their right mind releases a prosumer body with almost the same specs as their flagship pro body at less then 1/2 the price with better ISO performance? No brainer there!
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:26 PM   #13

It is a good thing for the consumer though.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Lets all watch as the 7D and 50D used prices tank! The 7d retail prices were already dropping From $1699 to currently $1549.
60D=7D-extra af points and 2.4FPS I dont know who is running Canons marketing dept but they need a foot up their [email protected]$. This just killed the 7D market to all but sports shooters. This was just like releasing the 5DII and tanking their sales on the 1DsMKIII whcih was the stupidedst move in their history. Who in their right mind releases a prosumer body with almost the same specs as their flagship pro body at less then 1/2 the price with better ISO performance? No brainer there!
Its just the variety. Look at it this way, many wont mind getting a 1ds mk III or 7d if they can afford. Now those who can afford will definitely buy the big guns anyway....

giving cheaper alternative atleast makes them buy the canon product..

in this case i dont see a huge sale market for 60D. Atleast 50D owners will take the 7D route...60D looks crippled unless its priced real low..i mean just around 1000 $ body only price....

i want a plastic body 700$ full frame...give me one canon....just for the full frame
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 9:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
It is a good thing for the consumer though.
I wont argue that! Just a stupid move business wise.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 9:26 AM   #16
NHL

It's all about market share...

We as enthusiast here usually miss the point as the high-end models, especially the 1D series, hold less than 1% of the market. Canon needs the 60D to hold its ground!
http://translate.google.com/translat...ate.google.com

-> i.e. for every 7D Canon sell they've sold as many 15x 550's and 3x 50D's.
If they were only selling 1D and 7D's, Canon share will be dismal as shown by the market data. This camera just help them fill the gap!

Last edited by NHL; Aug 27, 2010 at 2:34 PM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:42 PM   #17

interesting to see pentax above sony.....i thought sony had a market share next to canon nd nikon
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymphetamine View Post
interesting to see pentax above sony.....i thought sony had a market share next to canon nd nikon
Glad to see it. Pentax is a still camera brand with lot's of history and tradition.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL View Post
It's all about market share...

We as enthusiast here usually miss the point as the high-end models, especially the 1D series, hold less than 1% of the market. Canon needs the 60D to hold its ground!
http://translate.google.com/translat...ate.google.com

-> i.e. for every 7D Canon sell they've sold as many 15x 550's and 3x 50D's.
If they were only selling 1D and 7D's, Canon share will be dismal as shown by the market data. This camera just help them fill the gap!

This appears to be the share of the Japanese market, although no doubt the point about relative share of high end vs. low end still holds worldwide. The biggest profits, by the way, are in the lenses, not the camera bodies i.e. razor and blade marketing principle.
ropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 7:55 AM   #20
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ropp View Post
... The biggest profits, by the way, are in the lenses, not the camera bodies i.e. razor and blade marketing principle.
Not according to data, Canon used to report this by segments, but stopped this practice since 2008: http://www.canon.com/ir/results/2008/rslt2008e.pdf
-> Their optics made less than 1/2 of the camera sales, kind of make sense too as most of the consumers who purchased kit lenses with their Xt/550, i.e. majority(~29%) of dSLR sales, would not go back to the store and get L lenses

Folks who returned, but not all, for better glass (i.e. Canon lenses revenues) are the 50D, 7D, and 1D owners and you can project their lens sales from their camera's respective percentages. Keep in mind too that not all owners would go back for a 500 L like me, so most L sales are around the same price as the camera... even though they might get a few, but not to the economy of scale that we're talking about (especially with budget minded consumers who have a choice with 3rd party products).
Also lenses do not follow the razor blades model, once you buy them they are forever... i.e. my lenses stayed the same even though I'm up to my 3rd Canon's (bodies like films are constantly upgraded all the time)!

Last edited by NHL; Aug 28, 2010 at 10:55 AM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote