Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 28, 2010, 6:36 PM   #1

Default 7D Preview Driving Me Nuts

Hi hope you can help my 7D is driving me nuts.

When i take a pic and click the play button to preview its comes up very dull as though there's no back light.
If i press it again to turn off then immediately press preview again its fine comes up with a bright preview image.
Its as though you have to double click the preview on and off twice to see it properly. Am i doing something wrong, Or is there a setting on the camera.

Hope you can help.
warriorsoul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2010, 10:20 PM   #2

Hi,

I've had my 7D since December, and have not had that happen. According to the users manual, "in low or high temperatures, the LCD display might look black. it will return to normal at room temperature." I would give Canon Tech support a call. The few times I have had to call them, they have been most knowledgeable, and helpful. Since the camera is still under warranty it won't hurt to call them.

MAR's Flickr
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 3:13 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Yep, first time I've heard of any issue like that. Mine operates just fine.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:39 AM   #4

Sounds like you need to send it in. If it displays correctly after pressing the button again its not a temperature issue. Sounds more like an issue with the command to the backlight not being issued from the controller. If you press twice the image is should appear on the first press and turn off on the second. I would put my money on a logic issue on the main board.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 4:59 PM   #5

More than likely a bad ambient light sensor. Neither of mine have had this issue.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 7:13 PM   #6

Thats another possibility but I would think it wouldnt react to the button at all if that were the case and wouldnt light, not even dim.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 2:32 PM   #7

Maybe, but a bad sensor usually sends a faulty value to the related component. So it could be dull and dark, too bright or not at all. The switch (button) activates both the lcd and the sensor at the same time. The sensor then takes a reading and tells the lcd how much luminance it needs.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 1:58 PM   #8

I have sent the camera into the Canon repair centre now, (Saturday) all being well i should get it back this weekend, Fingers crossed as i really need it as i'm going to a Twinshock (Vintage) Motocross event, Cant wait to go.
warriorsoul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 3:23 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Hope it is sorted quickly.