Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:10 AM   #1

Default New budget DSLR coming soon?

With camera manufacturers releasing all their new models in time for photokina (and Christmas), does anybody expect to see Canon release a new budget DSLR model (i.e. a successor to the Rebel XS)? Obviously we can only speculate right now, but we can still make a semi-educated guess.

Anyhow what's your thoughts? Do you expect to see one this season?
jWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:14 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I think there will be a new budget DSLR with video to compete with Nikons 3100. I am just not thinking we will see it in 2010.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 5:22 PM   #3

Im thinking not, they just released a slew of upgrades recently. For Canon this year its going to be lens upgrades and possibly the 1DsMKIV. The succesor to the XS has already come, the XS line is done, we are now on T2i which I would go for the 60D as its not that much more.
Rebel progression....
Xt
Xti
Xs
Xsi
T1i
T2i

Last edited by JustinThyme; Sep 15, 2010 at 5:25 PM.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 5:24 PM   #4

The the T1i and T2i are the replacement for the xs and the xsi. But canon may surprise us yet with another camera. Photokina is only 5 days away.

Last edited by shoturtle; Sep 15, 2010 at 9:04 PM. Reason: lost track of the date
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 9:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
The succesor to the XS has already come, the XS line is done, we are now on T2i which I would go for the 60D as its not that much more.
Rebel progression....
Xt
Xti
Xs
Xsi
T1i
T2i
Yes, I know the that line is done - I meant the practical successor, as a budget DSLR. Canon kinda set the XS apart in its own category with its numbering.

Digital Rebel - 300D
XT - 350D
XTi - 400D

XS - 1000D

XSI - 450D
T1i - 500D
T2i - 550D

Get my meaning? I'm pretty sure that wasn't an accident, or a failure in basic arithmetic. I think Canon would be failing badly marketing-wise to discontinue its budget model, without producing a practical successor, especially with the economy the way it is. But, who knows...
jWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 9:50 AM   #6

i see a 1ds mark IV for photokina..i dont see canon changing the 550D.

May be canon shud give us back the old 5D with 12MP sensor and fnatastic high ISO performance. If they can give us a camera as good as 5D II @21MP i am pretty sure they can make a 12MP camera that is atleast two stops better in High ISO.

Just a selfish need
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jWest View Post
Yes, I know the that line is done - I meant the practical successor, as a budget DSLR. Canon kinda set the XS apart in its own category with its numbering.

Digital Rebel - 300D
XT - 350D
XTi - 400D

XS - 1000D

XSI - 450D
T1i - 500D
T2i - 550D

Get my meaning? I'm pretty sure that wasn't an accident, or a failure in basic arithmetic. I think Canon would be failing badly marketing-wise to discontinue its budget model, without producing a practical successor, especially with the economy the way it is. But, who knows...
I dont think they will discontinue, its just time for the 1Ds MKIV to be released and they have been pumping up their new L series releases. They would want to keep the focus on that for a bit. I sure there will be a successor, just not until next fall. They tanked their sales on the 1DsMKIII when they released the 5DMKII. They drew in a few more on the fence sales but most of them came from the 1DsIII. A wise man wouldnt sink their flagship again.

Look at the bright side......The current T21 shooters wont loose the value of their body from being replaced in the used market so those users who want to upgade to XXD line this would be a premium opportunity.

As soon as the next release for that series is released the used price will plummet because everyone wants to sell the old one because they bought a new one. I buy most things gently used and if I dont like it in the end and dont wait for the next to be released I can sell it for what I invested so it comes out like free rental.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote