Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 15, 2010, 5:08 PM   #1

Default I finally bought a dSLR.

Well, I finally ordered a dSLR. Ended up going with a Canon 50D, thanks to a little help from my good buddy Hards80 I have an old digital Rebel (the one we actually used for our review), however I hadn't picked up another model as I usually have a review unit in when I need to shoot a wedding, senior pics, etc.

According to Adorama, it should be here on friday. I picked up a refurb for $879, then added the BG-E2N grip and a second Canon BP-511A battery pack.

Pretty excited, as I loved the 50D when we had it in for review. This unit paired up with my 580EX II and Gary Fong lightsphere should work out great the for upcoming wedding I have to shoot at the end of the month.

This should also allow me to post some more pictures here on the forums, when time allows
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2010, 5:11 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
Well, I finally ordered a dSLR. Ended up going with a Canon 50D, thanks to a little help from my good buddy Hards80 I have an old digital Rebel (the one we actually used for our review), however I hadn't picked up another model as I usually have a review unit in when I need to shoot a wedding, senior pics, etc.

According to Adorama, it should be here on friday. I picked up a refurb for $879, then added the BG-E2N grip and a second Canon BP-511A battery pack.

Pretty excited, as I loved the 50D when we had it in for review. This unit paired up with my 580EX II and Gary Fong lightsphere should work out great the for upcoming wedding I have to shoot at the end of the month.

This should also allow me to post some more pictures here on the forums, when time allows

Great news and I'm going to be holding you the the last sentence LOL.

I'm sure you are going to get on well with it, so no excuses for bad shots

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 5:15 PM   #3

Haha, thanks Mark. I was actually sorting through some photos last night for the 5 of the best - A showcase, part 3 thread. I have virtually no photos on this current drive, so I have to grab the drive from my old setup and get some of my favorites. I was planning on posting some last night, but I'm playing catch up this week from being gone on vacation.

So, I haven't had a chance to post them yet. They're coming though, I promise. Just don't hold your breathe, I'm not that great...yet.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 6:12 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Billy,
Great news. That should be a great setup for your wedding. Look forward to some photos
Old Sep 15, 2010, 6:23 PM   #5

Wifey has a 50D, personally I find the IQ better than the 7Dand only 2MP difference. Doesnt have video but my thoughts on that are if you want video buy a video camera.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 6:36 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
Haha, thanks Mark. I was actually sorting through some photos last night for the 5 of the best - A showcase, part 3 thread. I have virtually no photos on this current drive, so I have to grab the drive from my old setup and get some of my favorites. I was planning on posting some last night, but I'm playing catch up this week from being gone on vacation.

So, I haven't had a chance to post them yet. They're coming though, I promise. Just don't hold your breathe, I'm not that great...yet.
Good good, wasn't planning to hold my breath, I like life too much

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:25 PM   #7

Got the 50D in today!!

Ended up with a body only along with a BG-E2N and a second BP-511A.

Here's a quick snap I took a little bit ago using my 50mm/1.8 (I wanna say plastic fantastic, but the mount is metal). So far I'm loving it and very happy with my choice.

Name:  50d_snap1.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  62.7 KB

More to come. Now I really need to get some glass.

Here's my wish list so far:
Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS
Canon 24-70 f2.8L
Canon 85/1.8
Canon 50/1.4

However, I'm debating on looking into some Sigma models to save some coin. Any thoughts? I'm mainly looking to shoot weddings and am going to setup a studio here in the next few months, once I get all moved into my new office.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 12:50 AM   #8

The sigma 85 and 50 are more expensive then the canon 85 1.8 and 50 1.4. So no cost saving in that department. And the new sigma 70-200 OS HSM is about the same price as the 70-200 2.8L IS not the mkII.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 3:50 AM   #9
Super Moderator

nice low light snap billy.

i agree with S.T. in those focal lengths, particularly the 70-200 and the 85, it is probably best to just go with the Canons. The Sigma 50 1.4 is a better wide-open than the Canon so it might be worth considering, however it is quite a bit heavier and larger lens. Another lens worth considering on a crop body is the Canon 17-55 2.8 for a normal zoom vs a traditional 24-70, it is sharp, light and gives a good fov on the 1.6 crop.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 5:28 AM   #10

i have 2 50d bodies i use for weddings and i love them. i use the 17-55 2.8 and the 24-105 f4 (which i purchased due to marks recommendation) they are great. i wanted to ask about the lightsphere. i understand the principle behind it but since it spreads the light out 360 degrees don't you lose have your light? you are not taking pictures of things behind you.
camerageak is offline   Reply With Quote