Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 16, 2010, 7:28 PM   #1

Default when is it enough

i see the t2i has 18 mps and appears to be a good camera so my question is when does the mps get to be to much?the pixels have to be getting smaller to cram that many on a sensor.so where is the limit and why do the manufacturers only increase the mps count 1 or 2 when they upgrade, why not just go up to 30 now and beat the rush? this may seem stupid but it really got my curiosity up .
camerageak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2010, 9:45 PM   #2

I'm probably wrong about this, but change in sensor design happens incrementally, so increase in pixels would have to follow suit. I think MP will increase until the law of diminishing returns sets in. I've said before at risk of public ridicule, that all dslrs will be 35mm one day, but that's another topic.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Last edited by Hawgwild; Sep 16, 2010 at 9:48 PM.
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 5:02 AM   #3

It's interesting that Canon's 7D with 18MP crammed onto the APS-C sensor has better noise performance than the 50D which has only 15MP.

If in-camera processing keeps improving as it has been doing, APS-C will be with us for a long time yet and we'll likely see resolutions continue to increase - chiefly, the megapixel race is a marketing thing and it sells cameras. Period.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 6:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerageak View Post
why not just go up to 30 now and beat the rush? this may seem stupid but it really got my curiosity up .
Cynically I believe because then they can't sell you a 15MP camera today, a 18MP one in 6 months, a 22MP one next year and so on...
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 8:51 AM   #5

So probably in 2013 we will see a 50MP camera and we still will be resizing the image to 2MP so we can share with our family and friends
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 9:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymphetamine View Post
So probably in 2013 we will see a 50MP camera ...
The highest resolution image sensor in a dSLR is the 24MP unit in the Sony A900/A850 and the Nikon D3X. The Sony A900 came out in 2008, and nothing higher has come out since. Draw whatever conclusions you want from that.

Last edited by TCav; Sep 17, 2010 at 6:11 PM. Reason: Forgot the Nikon.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:17 AM   #7

There will be a finite end, you can only make the density of the microlenses so tight until you loose light. Like I heard it said before, FF is the new medium format......It might really be sooner than we know it. I think enlarging the sensor area would be the next logical step. Medium Format cameras are on the 60MP ledge.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 6:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
... Like I heard it said before, FF is the new medium format......It might really be sooner than we know it. I think enlarging the sensor area would be the next logical step. Medium Format cameras are on the 60MP ledge.
'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format', therefore, the old 'Medium Format' is the new 'Large Format'.

'Large Format' digital cameras use 'Medium Format' digital backs, or use other methods to assemble a large image by taking multiple exposures.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 7:12 PM   #9

Big prints, lots of info to work with, croping, and with the proper camera, less noise at high ISO. Give me good megapixels.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 8:39 PM   #10

Example:

Uber croping

It's an extreme zoom-in of a small billboard pick which is in the pick. What's happening there? Blow up?

Last edited by Ordo; Sep 17, 2010 at 8:43 PM.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote