Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 18, 2010, 12:24 PM   #1

Default broken $200.00 P&S to a 60D, or am I nuts?

So, after my little $200.00 camera died I bought a $270.00 camera.
Then the bug has bitten and I decided to get a T2i.
After lots of reading I saw that the T2i can be bought for under $900.00 (with lens), but I know that I like zoom as much as wide and I would have to buy another zoom lens to be happy.
A cheap lens would cost me around $200.00 and a better lens around $400.00 and yes, I know I can go much further up in price.

So, if I would get the T2i (with 18-55mm) with an additional lens to cover to around 150mm, it would cost me about $1200 +-$100.00

Now I saw that the 60D will be available within the next 1-2 weeks.
This camera has my beloved swivel LCD (which on it's own is worth a $200.00 premium to me).
It also comes with a 18-135mm lens that seems to be about $200.00 more than the 18-55mm and will closely cover what I'll need for now (ohh gosh I'm afraid of what I'll spend in the future ).

Who knows, when all stores have the 60D in stock, there might even be a $100.00 rebate, that brings it into the same price as the T2i with an additional lens (my budged of about $1300.00)

Please don't ask what I need this camera for or what I plan to shoot, I have no idea and I just need a new camera and a P&S will just not do it anymore.
A good excuse would be a trip to South America, that I'll be taking next month .
I'll get the opportunity to visit native Amazon Indians in the rain forest

Am I nuts?
Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2010, 6:07 PM   #2

I think you are nuts but what does that have to do with the camera purchase?
We all like to weigh out the possibilities and get the best for our hard earned $$.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 7:16 PM   #3
Super Moderator

if you will be in the amazon. the weather sealing of the 60D may be worth the price difference itself in the humid conditions.

as for whether you or nuts or not. if you want to jump into dslrs, and your budget affords it, why not get what you really want. and in the case of the amazon trip, the best choice.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 9:29 AM   #4

Thanks for your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
if you will be in the amazon. the weather sealing of the 60D may be worth the price difference itself in the humid conditions.
Now, this alone is worth another $???? and will be a strong selling point to my wife.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 2:31 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Get the best equipment you can reasonably afford, then spend all your effort trying to learn to be a better photographer.

This decision has just saved you a fortune...

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...to-george.html
Old Sep 21, 2010, 8:32 AM   #6

I'm a very happy camper, I picked up a 60D from Best Buy yesterday.
I'm on my way to become a professional now, I already found out that there are 3 on/off switches on the camera (IS, AF and the camera), where my P&S only had one LOL

My very first picture taken, without any settings changes (not that I would know how to do that anyways).

David aka Data on his way to become a wildlife photographer:
Attached Images

Old Sep 21, 2010, 8:51 AM   #7

oh by the way - if you are going to rely on weather sealing - you have to make sure it's all weather sealed. It's great to have a weather sealed body - but only if you're using a weather sealed lens with it. So, be careful you do not put your gear in a situation where the weakest link will break. Unless, of course, you plan on purchasing a sealed lens as well.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:03 AM   #8

Hmmmm, the other side would be: If the kit lens breaks, I have to buy a new one, better one, more expensive one and my wife would have to understand that .

Sebastian (my Cockatiel) also thinks I'm nuts, all morning I have this huge black thing in front of my face and it makes this clicking sound (I wonder how long it will take him to make that sound).
So I moved on to my fishies.
Attached Images