Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 9, 2002, 4:42 PM   #1

Default Canon EOS D-60 (or) Nikon D-100??

Greetings,

I'm in the market for one of these digital SLR beauties...just one...though I'd love to own both of them.

So how does the Canon and the Nikon stack up against each other?

What about their comparative interchangeable lenses and accessories?

My specialities include: the many facets of nature (from macro to landscape), "time capsule" scenes (how it looked when), still lifes, some people stuff, etc.

Lastly, what's the latest on availibility and waiting times in NYC (Manhattan)?

Many thanks.

M i k e
shamrock838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2002, 6:18 PM   #2

Default Buy into a system

Many people come into SLR cameras with this question. I asume you have no lens at the moment.

Your buying into a lens fitting and once there it's hard to change. The D100 may the Nikon camera of the moment, but when the DM etc come along the same lens will fit it, and you move on , the same is true of Canon

I would look more closely at the lens and therefore the cost involved. Then choose one. True Fuji uses Nikons mount and so there is some options there
ashenfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2002, 6:19 PM   #3

i will go for cannon, cannons usualy better quilty than any other cameras
mdorani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2002, 8:26 PM   #4

to be blunt about canon being better than any other camera-"in your dreams"
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2002, 11:39 PM   #5

i agree with mdorani.......although all the latest makes of DSLR's are great, i still see Canon having the most options to outfit what you buy.

[Edited on 8-10-2002 by Hawkeye12]
Hawkeye12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2002, 12:00 AM   #6

like me everyone has an opinion. yours differs from mine. but in the long run the glass quality tells the story.
neither one has figured a way to build a 20 or 24 mm equivelent lens yet. so you can't shoot wide. anemic little ccds on these things. they were designed for my minolta D7i not for an slr body. my d7i has a 28 equivelent lens. kind of silly isn't it. i can do it for under a grand and these can't for combinations of lens/bodies for $3000. there is something wrong here.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2002, 12:30 AM   #7
Administrator

anemic little CCDs in the dSLRs ???

See that little one in the center? That's how big the one in the DiMAGE 7 is. The big red one is the size that is in D30, D60, D100 and S2 dSLRs.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2002, 8:38 AM   #8

sorry SJMS,
but even though i currently have a D7i, and i think for the price it's hard to beat, it's no way comparable to the DSLR's for final picture quality.
i've shot comparison pics with the D100 and the D60 and 7i side by side, and only one comes out with some kind of "noise".
care to guess which one?
also, i found that there is almost an endless amount of post editing allowed with the DSLR's, where as (for example) if all 3 shots are underexposed, and i need to adjust, the pics from the DSLR's can be brightened, and sharpened way beyond the pic from the 7i and still not near the amount noise (if any)comes up in the finished photo.
and this is just a small example of why the 7i is not in the same class as DSLR's.

as far as matching the D7i's wide end, that's not a problem.
Hawkeye12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2002, 3:08 PM   #9

I was a loyal Nikoner for nearly 30 years, but then I went to Canon to get the IS lenses. Truth to tell, I prefer the feel of the Nikon equipment, but the performance of my Canon gear is at least as good - some say better.
Robert Eastburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2002, 12:41 PM   #10

I think they're both great camera, very comparable in features, if you're already have a collection of lenses, flashes and accessories on Canon, then go with the Canon, same on the reverb. Canon and Nikon optical are excelent, I kinda like the Canon USM better because it's at least one generation a head of Nikon (AF-S). I like it even better when you attach the Canon digicam SLR (EOS 1 D)to the Canon EF 50mm L F/1.0 lens, no ther camera can beat the AF in this combination
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote