Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 19, 2003, 7:27 PM   #1

Default D60 Focusing Problems

Everyone,

Well, it's been a while since I've posted anything but some recent frustrations have brought be mack to the well of knowledge I'm now fairly sure that my D60 isn't focusing properly. It consistently focuses short of the subject, and I'm now convinced that it's not me accidentally catching something in the foreground and not noticing that the wrong focus spot is highlighted in the viewfinder. I've done a series of experiments using only the center focus spot, a single subject, and both AI Servo and one-shot AF modes compared to me focusing manually. There is a difference in sharpness. The D60 focuses a few feet in front of the subject in shots up to 30 feet or so and (this one is difficult to measure) looks like it focuses several hundred feet in front of the subject when the subject is out in the infinity focus range. You can imagine how mad this made me.

I remember back a long time ago some talk on this list about a way to tune the autofocusing system. Can someone refresh my memory? It appears that I need to do this.

Thanks,
Norm
norm911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2003, 8:56 PM   #2

As far as I know, there is nothing you can directly do to fix the camera. But Canon can fix it. If its still under warrenty then it should be free. They'll probably want the lens and the body (because both could need adjusting.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 9:45 PM   #3

Eric,

If I recall correctly, there was a CD that you could get (buy) from Canon that allowed you to tweak the internal parameters of the camera. Someone had even posted some shots of a diagonal ruler they took that showed the errors in their focus plane and then how it worked after they fixed it. Anyway, I'll keep searching and see if I can dig up the old posts. I just thought someone might remember off the top of their head what I needed to do to get that CD.

Norm
norm911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 9:47 PM   #4

With my D60, I began noticing that when I focused on eyes in animal shots, the nose always ended up in sharper focus than the eyes.

It took 3 tries, but Canon finally tuned my camera and lenses so that the focus is now spot on....as good as it gets. I've been tickled silly with it for the last 18 months.

You may run into people who will flame you for criticisizing your camera, or who will say it has to be your error. Don't buy it...now the 10D owners are juggling with this.
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2003, 9:17 AM   #5

Now that you mention it, I think you are right. I believe I read about it on dpreview.

The problem is that you have to claim you're a canon tech, and you have to order it by part number. The other thing is that you have to really know what you are doing. You could really, really mess up your camera if you did it wrong.

Try searching around on dpreview's forums. That might be where I've read it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2003, 9:44 AM   #6
NHL

FYI

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=4274800
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=4544675
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote