Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 2, 2010, 3:12 PM   #11

I deer hunt ALLOT so all of these are while sitting on stand, and the deer are usually between 50 and 250 yards away. I am new to the DSLR field so I am trying my best, I will look for the setting you mention above and try changing it
Bigmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 3:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
the problem isn't the aperture. THe problem is he's about 60 yards too far away and focused on the grass and not the deer.

You want the deer filling close to half the frame in-camera to be successful. This is filling about 5%
Ideally he would be a lot closer, but maybe the deer wouldn't cooperate.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 4:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkpix View Post
You are correct
Old Oct 2, 2010, 4:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkpix View Post
sometimes wanting to take a photo and being able to aren't the same thing. Sometimes you just have to realize you simply can't take a decent photo no matter how much you want to. In those situations you can fiddle with the camere as much as you want but you'll still get a bad photo. That's life.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 4:47 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
sometimes wanting to take a photo and being able to aren't the same thing. Sometimes you just have to realize you simply can't take a decent photo no matter how much you want to. In those situations you can fiddle with the camere as much as you want but you'll still get a bad photo. That's life.
It's true and the reason top wildlife photogs spend 10 or 20,000 on glass, even hobby shooters will be in the 4 figure range. You can still get better results with correct focus and also stopping down but getting closer to be in the range of your lens is the biggest thing.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 2:52 PM   #16

Well I took the camera back out with me again last night and made sure I held it real steady when at full zoom and the pictures were clearer not 100% but much better then the ones above. I will keep playing with it
Old Oct 3, 2010, 5:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoss View Post
Well I took the camera back out with me again last night and made sure I held it real steady when at full zoom and the pictures were clearer not 100% but much better then the ones above. I will keep playing with it
You will get better with practice. A steady hand always helps.
Getting closer would help a lot. Pay particular attention to your
focus points. The real answer is a very long and fast lens, but
it you don't have a few thousand dollars to spare, you will have
to make the best of what you have.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 5:50 PM   #18

dude
in cases like this , the S3 is probably better becuse its a superzoom, and sometimes there is no time to play with settings, the deer could be gone my then, alwaus carry your superzoom for quick shots
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 6:14 PM   #19

I have tons of these pics. Over eager to get the animal captured. Not having the right equipment and / or patience... You only realise how important it is to get close once you take that first successful wildlife pic! I'm still waiting...
mva2912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoss View Post
Mark I think all points are on as I never touched it and I see 5 squares or more with dots in them when shooting in the screen , what do you mean to far away ? Thats why I bought this lens, heck my old S3 I just upgraded from maxed out had nice clear pics all the time why would these be blurry ?
You have to look in your manual and have single point focus, meaning just the center dot, which will focus on the deer, other wise the camera get confused, and it pics something, looks like it focus on the grass....Put camera in AV mode, center point(single point), and play with ISO to get shutter around 1/250...1/400,,,,,,,,set to multi shot, and ai servo....and bang away
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote