Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 2, 2010, 3:49 PM   #1

Default Low Light Action Settings Canon DSLR

I have a 30D using a Canon 2.8 70-200 and a Sigma 18-50 IS. I am trying to shoot volleyball matches in a gym. It's a ... trying... experience.

I have bumped the iso to 1600... typically use AF as the action is so fast that manual is difficult. I use, mostly Av mode and compensate for the flourescent lighting.

The issue, of course, is blur. A lot of otherwise good shots are lost.

Do you have suggestions/settings/ideas/opinions on a decent setting suite? I know there are many who have had this problem and while there may be no perfect solution there must be some that are "better" than others.

Insights appreciated.

Thanks !!

Last edited by Altos; Oct 2, 2010 at 4:17 PM.
Altos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2010, 4:44 PM   #2

you need to use ISO 3200 at f2.8. Don't shoot AV, shoot manual exposure - try ISO 3200, f2.8 and 1/400. ALso, set a custom WB (your manual will tell you how). Make sure you're using center focus point only and focus is set to AI-Servo. With the settings above take some test shots during warmups - if the FACES look good, do nothing. If they look underexposed, drop shutter to 1/320. If they're overexposed raise the shutter to 1/500.

THose settings should help you get some better results:

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 10:14 PM   #3

Thanks, will try that. Does the 3200 get excessively grainy? Already set the WB, center focus point, AI-Servo. So, jack up the ISO, go manual on exposure and adjust accordingly. I will give it a try.

Thanks !
Altos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 9:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altos View Post
Thanks, will try that. Does the 3200 get excessively grainy? Already set the WB, center focus point, AI-Servo. So, jack up the ISO, go manual on exposure and adjust accordingly. I will give it a try.

Thanks !
You will get more noise on the 30D at 3200 ISO than one of the later models, On my MKIIN I was reluctant to go above 1600. Unfortunately to get the shot you have to decide the lesser of the evils. To keep out motion blur you need a higher shutter speed. the more motion the higher the speed. I usually try not to drop below 1/500 but you may as John stated be able to get a bit lower with VB. What you have to ask yourself is which comes out better, an image with motion blur or one with noise. A good post processs noise application is also your frined when faced with these conditions.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote