Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:02 PM   #1

Default 1000d question

hey all, this weekend I was asked to take some pics at a wedding (just the guests as they arrived at the reception) and I was having a few problems with my camera. First off, I am a newbie so it absolutely could be me, and I am sorry if this doesn't make much sense.

Anyway, quite a few times my 1000d would just not take a pic. I don't recall any certain situations, but I could take 10 pics, then all of a sudden the camera would not take a pic. I would press the shutter 1/2 way, the camera would try to focus, full press and nothing. Release shutter, wait a second, try again, and same thing-nothing. IIRC, many times the camera would not find the right focus, and just would not take the pic. Luckily my wife was there with the bride's nikon for backup. But it is quite annoying to basically say "my camera is crap and won't take a pic right now"

Then 2 minutes later, it works fine again. My wife occasionally will grab my camera and take landscape pics now and then, and she says it happens to her too. She doesn't really know how to use it, and normally uses the auto settings. I will use the program or other settings when it happens to me. She has said if she shuts it off, or switches to a different mode, then back, it will work again. When it happens to me, it happens, then seems to work again without me doing anything to it. Different settings, different lenses, really nothing I can think of for repeatability.

I am wondering if it has a "safety" setting that won't allow a shot if the focus didn't work correctly? That is about the only thing I can think of.

Brew
tsbrewers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:17 PM   #2

ok, after playing with the camera a little bit, this only happens on the "one shot" AF setting when the camera can't find focus. So I will do some manual reading and figure out why it does this.

Brew
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:36 PM   #3

Yes, if you are in single-shot AF mode and your camera can't focus (most often because of low light), it will not release the shutter. Single-shot AF is usually a bad idea anyway.

But the problem is if it can't find focus in single-shot mode, then it isn't finding focus in continuous mode, so even though it will release the shutter, your pics will likely come out badly out-of-focus. If you shoot weddings often, or if you charge to shoot weddings, you should consider a higher-end camera and better glass.
jWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 11:00 PM   #4

Thanks. Nope, I am not a photographer, and never plan on being one. The bride was my wife's cousin. They had professional photographers there, but wanted us to take pics of the guests as they arrived, and allow the pro's to do what they do.

I am a contractor and bought the camera to snap a few pics of my work for a website and stuff like that. That is about as far as I go. I was using a nifty fifty mk1 for most of the pics and had good luck, except for the ones that wouldn't focus.

Brew
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:53 AM   #5
Super Moderator

There are situations where camera AF struggles, and the 1000D has the least capable AF system in Canon's line-up. In 1-shot mode it is effectively focus-priority and won't release if it cannot get a lock. It's always worth learning how the AF system works so that you can make it easier for the camera to get a lock in poor light. Try to look for edges in the AF areas and re-compose if necessary.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...-autofocus.htm

One other reason is that your camera buffer might be full and the camera cannot take more shots until it has flushed some data to the card. This can be improved by getting a faster card.

Last edited by peripatetic; Oct 4, 2010 at 12:55 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote