Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:11 AM   #1

Default Canon Rebel XSi help

Hello! I purchased the Canon Rebel XSi and definitely plan to read through the book. However, I have a wedding this weekend and need some good shots before I will get through all of the instructions. A couple of questions for you:

1. Is there anything special you would do to set up the camera to begin with?
2. Should I have the red eye reduction turned to "on"?
3. Should I change picture size somewhere and if so, how?

Thanks so much!!
amateurkidspicturetaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2010, 11:57 AM   #2

Hi nothing like going into the deep end. red eye I would keep it off you can get rid of it in post processing. I shoot in RAW but if you use JPEG then use highest quality. For the most part evaluative metering should be ok. I would stick with AV and just watch your shutter speed doesnt go to low. iso depends on lighting at the time. best of luck
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 12:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurkidspicturetaker View Post
Hello! I purchased the Canon Rebel XSi and definitely plan to read through the book. However, I have a wedding this weekend and need some good shots before I will get through all of the instructions. A couple of questions for you:

1. Is there anything special you would do to set up the camera to begin with?
2. Should I have the red eye reduction turned to "on"?
3. Should I change picture size somewhere and if so, how?

Thanks so much!!
I am assuming (hoping) you are a guest and just want to take some shots during the wedding and not The Photographer. If you are IT then Wow!

First off you did not say what lens you are using or if it was indoors or outside, day or night.

If you don't know the camera yet and it is outside I recommend you just go with the AUTO function on the camera if the wedding is tomorrow. You can also use your flash as fill if needed.

If it is an indoor wedding then you will probably want to use a fast lens like a 85 or 50 f/1.8 or one of the 17-50ish f/2.8 zooms. If so I recommend using AV setting and adjust the ISO to as low as possible until you get non-blurred (from motion) shots. If all else fails then use the built in flash if you don't have an external. You may want to turn down the flash output a little so people and dress are not blown out.

I never used red eye reduction on my XSi. I recommend you shoot in raw, avoid direct flash into their faces, and adjust any red eyes in post processing.

Picture size? Crop in post based on what size prints you want. May keep in mind what size prints you will be making when composing the shot. The camera's image will be 4x6 ratio.

Good Luck,

Last edited by griffina6; Oct 8, 2010 at 12:20 PM.
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 12:33 PM   #4

Oh my gosh no, I'm just taking pics of my little boy .. the ring bearer! I can't imagine what you guys probably thought, what an idiot...doesn't know her camera and taking professional pictures, haha!
amateurkidspicturetaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2010, 10:13 AM   #5

Sounds like you have never used the camera, leave it on auto !!! At least you will get decent photo's, and enjoy the wedding,
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 1:00 PM   #6

I am glad you explained a few more details. I felt a lot better after reading your last post.

So how did it go? Did you get some nice shots?
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote