Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:35 PM   #1

Default Canon 7D Help!

Hi Everybody!

I'm experiencing an intermittent problem with my Canon 7D, which I purchased in May 2010. I'm hoping that all you experienced folks in this forum might know what is going on!

The problem is that sometimes after taking a shot, I look at the LCD to review the image I had just taken... and I am surprised to find that the image shown in the LCD is extremely dark/dull to the point that I feel the image might be underexposed.

Once the auto-review image has disappeared, I press the Playback button to get a closer look. THEN, instead of the dark/dull/lifeless image, a bright and colorful image displays in the LCD.

As background information, I shoot mainly in RAW and I'm currently using the battery grip attached to my camera.

These problems only started happening after I was shooting outside on an extremely hot and humid day, and I turned on my camera but the LCD screen was black. I had to remove my batteries and reinsert them to boot up the camera. Then everything worked fine for the most part, except for the problem I am describing in this thread.

Thank you so much for any help you can provide! I'm really at a loss to explain this phenomenon....

Regards,
Ben
BenFromNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2010, 6:57 AM   #2

The LCD has an ambient light sensor just above and to the left of the control wheel (11 0'clock). Be sure it isn't covered by your thumb when checking your shots. If that isn't the case it is likely a bad sensor or possibly the LCD is bad.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:39 PM   #3

I do not think humidity can make a difference.
Try to reset the camera to default (Menu: clear all camera settings) and check LCD brightness.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokachr View Post
The LCD has an ambient light sensor just above and to the left of the control wheel (11 0'clock). Be sure it isn't covered by your thumb when checking your shots. If that isn't the case it is likely a bad sensor or possibly the LCD is bad.
Interesting detail. What is it for?
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 2:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Interesting detail. What is it for?
The ambient light sensor is an auto adjust for the screen brightness.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 7:21 PM   #6

I have the EXACT same problem!!! What is this issue? Is it the auto brightness thing?
eriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 5:34 PM   #7

This sounds hauntingly familiar!
Im thinking there is a post here somewhere already with the exact same issue and it had to be sent in for service.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote