Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:50 PM   #1

Default How is the 7D better than the 60D?

In what ways is the 7D better than the 60D -- other than speed of shooting (i.e., for sports, etc.)?

(I'm thinking of upgrading my 40D, mostly for video and higher ISO, but the extra megapixels are good and I like the 60D's articulated screen. THe 7D's price is dropping, though, and I was wondering if there's any reason to consider it over the 60D.)

Yikes! I just realized the 60D no longer has a metal body. That's a shame; the metal seemed durable and also big for my huge hands. And my CF memory cards won't work!? WTF? Was the 40D in 2007 more like the 7D today than the 60D today?
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos60d/

Makes me not want to upgrade at all...

Last edited by yohy; Oct 13, 2010 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Yikes!
yohy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:59 PM   #2
Super Moderator

if you don't shoot sports or action where you need the added fps or improved AF then there would be little reason to choose the 7d over the 60d.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 6:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohy View Post
In what ways is the 7D better than the 60D -- other than speed of shooting (i.e., for sports, etc.)?

(I'm thinking of upgrading my 40D, mostly for video and higher ISO, but the extra megapixels are good and I like the 60D's articulated screen. THe 7D's price is dropping, though, and I was wondering if there's any reason to consider it over the 60D.)

Yikes! I just realized the 60D no longer has a metal body. That's a shame; the metal seemed durable and also big for my huge hands. And my CF memory cards won't work!? WTF? Was the 40D in 2007 more like the 7D today than the 60D today?
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos60d/

Makes me not want to upgrade at all...
As stated if you dont need the 8FPS and AF of the 7D then there is little reason. The 60D is not an upgrade to the 50D, more of an upgrade to the rebel line. Canon has been throwing curveballs with models here lately. Everyone was expecting the 7D to be an upgrade to the 5D but it is more aptly classified as an upgrade to the 50D, pretty much add a couple megapixels a new AF and a second digic processor for high FPS to the 50D and you have a 7D.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 2:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
As stated if you dont need the 8FPS and AF of the 7D then there is little reason. The 60D is not an upgrade to the 50D, more of an upgrade to the rebel line. Canon has been throwing curveballs with models here lately. Everyone was expecting the 7D to be an upgrade to the 5D but it is more aptly classified as an upgrade to the 50D, pretty much add a couple megapixels a new AF and a second digic processor for high FPS to the 50D and you have a 7D.
Yeah, it's pretty frustrating actually. I want a camera where I can get video too. Ugh. Maybe I could get a T2i until the 5D3 comes out, but will I be disappointed switching from the 40D?
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:52 AM   #5

Like hards pointed out if you do not shoot action. There is really not much you gain with the 7D over the 60D. You get the same image quality, and video and remote flash system.

But if you do shoot bird and wildlife. I would have a aps-c to go along with a 5D3. The crop factor does make it easier to reach out to the subject. A 300mm lens is 300mm on FF, but is 480mm on the canon APS-C.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 1:25 PM   #6

I was just looking at this and it came down to the improved AF, Frame rate and weather sealing. I just placed an order for a refurbished 7D through the Canon Loyaly program, now to wait until Monday for it to arrive. Steven
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Like hards pointed out if you do not shoot action. There is really not much you gain with the 7D over the 60D. You get the same image quality, and video and remote flash system.

But if you do shoot bird and wildlife. I would have a aps-c to go along with a 5D3. The crop factor does make it easier to reach out to the subject. A 300mm lens is 300mm on FF, but is 480mm on the canon APS-C.
I think I'm going with the 60D. Although I don't plan to shoot sports, I do plan to shoot dance. That said, I would rather have the articulated screen and lower price.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:38 PM   #8

I shoot allot of dance. And the 60D will do an nice job for that. I can get good shots with a t1i and an pentax k-x when shooting dance. So the 60D will do an even better job for that.

But I notice, the articulating screen will not be that helpful for shooting dance. The OVF is the better tool for framing the shots.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 2:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I shoot allot of dance. And the 60D will do an nice job for that. I can get good shots with a t1i and an pentax k-x when shooting dance. So the 60D will do an even better job for that.

But I notice, the articulating screen will not be that helpful for shooting dance. The OVF is the better tool for framing the shots.
Great! Thanks.

Yes, the articulated screen seems good primarily for travel (short tripod work because I'm 6'2", arm's-length self-portraits, macro, etc.), reaching up over crowds, and taking from-the-ground shots of monumental subjects. I remember having one on a P&S before I got the DSLR, and find I miss it sometimes. I wonder if they've made it easier since the 40D to cover the OVF during Live View mode.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 2:17 PM   #10

I use a simple right angle adapter for the ovf when I need to shoot very low angles, ebay 35 dollars. cheap solution for your 40D when shooting low.