Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 21, 2003, 10:16 PM   #1

Default Tamron 28-300mm XR Lens for Digital Rebel?

Just wondering if anyone has used this lens? I'm assuming it's compatible since it has the EOS mount, right?

I've heard lots of positive reviews about it and thought I would order the Rebel body and this lens seperately.

Thanks!
dotcomguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2003, 9:44 AM   #2

I have the Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 XR for my Canon 10D and I am very happy with it. The 28-300mm should give you similar results.
SteveZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2003, 10:34 AM   #3

Default Re: Tamron 28-300mm XR Lens for Digital Rebel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcomguy
Just wondering if anyone has used this lens? I'm assuming it's compatible since it has the EOS mount, right?

I've heard lots of positive reviews about it and thought I would order the Rebel body and this lens seperately.

Thanks!
The len is OK in that range of price. I tried it before and you may see some sample photos here:
http://www.fotop.net/hktraveller/protrait_20031216
hk_traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2003, 12:13 AM   #4
Administrator

I have the Tamron 28-300mm XR with the Nikon AF mount and it works nicely on my D100 - should be fine on the Digital Rebel too.

It is a very versatile lens that is quite compact and lightweight but can really "reach out" when you need it to.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 11:54 AM   #5

I have this lens, very pleased with it on 300D (I also relied on Steve's recommendation!). Here's a link to my web page; the Virginia album was shot with this Tamron 28-300 and edited lightly (mostly to sharpen) in PSE.

http://community.webshots.com/user/johnwmitchell100

I have added a Conon 1.4 50 mm for low light; and plan to sometime in the next year (when I save enough) to get a Canon 400mm IS. Along with the wideangle 18-55 (great for indoor shooting) that came with the Canon 300D, I think I'll be covered.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2003, 11:36 PM   #6

This is a very seductive lens, however you get what you pay for. Popular Photo has a review at

http://www.POPPHOTO.com/article.asp?...article_id=257

which is accurate. I used one for a year or so on a film camera which was OK as all I made were 4x6 prints. When I went digital I realized that it wouldn't support good 8x10 prints (and larger) as well as I desired. I eventually ended up with a Canon 35-350 to get the range and still have good prints. The camera I was using was the Canon 1D. It is difficult to maintain good resolution at the very inexpensive price of the Tamron.
Ben Lanterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 4:47 PM   #7

Prints up to 11 X 14 off my Epson 2200 from the Tamron 28-300 look great! I'm selling prints, I'd be the first to own up to any reservations about this lens. Maybe a printer difference?? I'd be happy to send you an 8 x 10 sample for $25 unmatted - HA! Seriously, I hike to get a lot of my shots and really like the relatively lightweight size of this lens. I have no doubt that there has to be some kind of trade-off for the size, but so far, I'm getting good images and prints.
Old Dec 30, 2003, 4:11 AM   #8

Ben - By the way, you have some really outstanding photos in your portfolio on the last lnk - nice work!
Old Jan 7, 2004, 8:59 PM   #9

Thanks for everyone's advice.

I bought it with my 300D (I didn't get the lens bundle), so I got this lens instead. I used the Canon G1 and Minolta Dimage 7Hi, but I'm no pro, but I can still say that my photos came out very well over the new year's holidays.

Thanks for all the replies, now I'm off to search for a good macro lens and a good wide angle zoom lens (like 14mm-60mm or something)

Thanks again!
dotcomguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2004, 9:47 PM   #10

The Canon 180mm macro is a very good lens. I've heard some say it's the sharpest lens that Canon makes... but that is partially opinion. Who owns all the lenses to compare between?

Its on my future shopping list... one of these days.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote