Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 13, 2010, 4:49 PM   #11

[/IMG]
Attached Images

Brenda11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 4:58 PM   #12

Did I get the pictures posted Thanks
Old Oct 13, 2010, 5:19 PM   #13

You did.
I don't think you can get this kinda pick, at that distance, with on-camera flash.
Also you have Manual WB setting. That's tricky.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:01 PM   #14

Default Pictures

Shots taken with
Canon 7D
Canon 70-200 2.8 L IS ll USM
Canon 580EXll
1/250 sec f2.8 manual mode metering spot ISO 1600
1st shot 100mm
2nd shot 70mm
Can any body tell me what I am doing wrong? What do I need to do to make photos look better Thanks
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:50 PM   #15

First, you need to frame the shots much tighter in-camera. These are framed way too loosely. The red-eye is killing these - that's the challenge with using flash. If you're going to use flash you need to get it off the camera. You can try without flash - ISO 6400, 1/500 and f2.8. That might be a bit overexposed so you might be able to dial down the exposure.

You also want to use AI-Servo focus mode, single focus point only. Here's the thing - if you want better photos you're going to have to choose your subject. You're not going to be able to frame tightly (necessary for quality) AND shoot f2.8 AND get calf and rider in good focus. So you'll have to decide on your subject - the calf or the rider. Different event, but this is what I mean regarding much tighter framing:
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:54 PM   #16

Also, may be you should care about your pp:

Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 11:52 AM   #17

Brenda,

I tried this back in the summer with a 50D and had to use ISO 3200 and ISO 6400. When it got really dark I even used the 85mm (@ f/1.8) lens and just got as close as I could to where I thought the action might happen. Agree, you've got to get closer and frame tighter - it really does help. Also, I hear that 7D handles noise much better than the 50D so pump up that ISO, shoot in RAW, and use noise reduction later.

I didn't try flash because one guy was flashing and the officials made him move back so it would not distract horses or riders??

Please post more from the next time. It's always fun to see the improvements made.

Not anywhere close as good as John's pic, but if you want to see my post on my first attempt it is here http://forums.steves-digicams.com/sp...eo-photos.html
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 8:12 PM   #18

You have everything against you here. Not enough light, too far with a bit lacking on the gear side to get what you are after. You can still get good rodeo pics with less than pro gear.

Granted this was outside but taken with XTi and 75-300 IS.

JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
You have everything against you here. Not enough light, too far with a bit lacking on the gear side to get what you are after. You can still get good rodeo pics with less than pro gear.

Granted this was outside but taken with XTi and 75-300 IS.

I've got that lens on recently purchased my T2i. Could you elaborate a little on the settings you used for this shot. I want to do this same sort of thing with it, only at my grandsons baseball games.

Thanks, Jim
Bikentrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 8:55 AM   #20

That particular shot was aperture priority, f/10 1/800 ISO400, zoomed out to 300mm. Its hit or miss getting the good shots as you only get 3fps.
Shot at the San Dimas Rodeo in 2006.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote