Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 15, 2010, 1:41 PM   #1

Default Off-camera flash

I have a 430 EX II flash. And I use Strobies to wirelessly fire the flash.

When the 430 is mounted on the camera, it automatically limits the shutter speed to 1/200 of a second.

I can override that setting, but doing that means diminished power from the flash.

So far, so good.

Now, if I use the Strobies and set the shutter speed at 1/200 of a second there is no problem.

But if I use the Strobies and over ride the 1/200, say up to 1/320, rather than the photo being under exposed due to a deterioration of light, I get a photo where the top half of the photo is exposed and the bottom half is black!

If I shoot portrait or landscape, I get the same effect, half of the photo is black.
But if I go back to 1/200, it's all good again.

What is causing the 1/2 black photograph?

Faithfully yours,
FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2010, 8:38 PM   #2

what camera do you have?
it looks like 1/200 sec is the max sync speed for your camera, you can use shorter shutter speeds if you use a High Speed sync mode on your 430. this way you can use flash with all shutter speeds, but the price is reduced power and the effective flash range. Great for filling in the shadows in bright light though.
I presume that Strobies is a remote flash trigger, which doesn't support high speed sync and only works with your flash in manual mode. what happens when SS is shorter than 1/200 sec is that the flash fires when the camera shutter has already started to close and it blocks the light coming from the flash, blocking part of the sensor (the black part of your shots). You can get around it at shorter SS by using a long TTL flash cord, or buying a ST-E2 transmitter and using high speed sync, or buying remote triggers that support high speed sync (like PocketWizards TTmini and TTFlex), but this will cost you quite a bit.
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 3:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithfulPastor View Post
I have a 430 EX II flash. And I use Strobies to wirelessly fire the flash.

When the 430 is mounted on the camera, it automatically limits the shutter speed to 1/200 of a second.

I can override that setting, but doing that means diminished power from the flash.

So far, so good.

Now, if I use the Strobies and set the shutter speed at 1/200 of a second there is no problem.

But if I use the Strobies and over ride the 1/200, say up to 1/320, rather than the photo being under exposed due to a deterioration of light, I get a photo where the top half of the photo is exposed and the bottom half is black!

If I shoot portrait or landscape, I get the same effect, half of the photo is black.
But if I go back to 1/200, it's all good again.

What is causing the 1/2 black photograph?

Faithfully yours,
FP
The 1/2 half black frame is because the flash fired while the shutter was partially closed.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 3:50 PM   #4

Sounds like HSS does not work remotely
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote