Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 23, 2010, 3:34 AM   #1

Default Cokin P Series Filter on Wide Angle Setting

Hi All,

I am planning to buy a Cokin P Series Filter Kit with the ND Grad Filters. However after surfing a bit I stumbled upon one issue.

The point is, if I am using a wide angle lens ( 10-20mm) at its shortest focal length ( say 10mm ), the holder tends to get into the image.

So either one has to zoom in a bit or crop the image later. Obviously , both these solutions are stupid as one cannot use the shortest focal length anymore.

Secondly, I saw varied opinion on the quality of the Cokin Filters as well. Does it really compromise image quality.

I am just dying to take those cool waterfall/sunset pics, but I want to avoid PS. I would rather spend more time behind the camera than my PC.

Can someone please advice me on this.

Keep Shooting

Arindam
arindam123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2010, 2:55 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindam123 View Post

Secondly, I saw varied opinion on the quality of the Cokin Filters as well. Does it really compromise image quality.

I am just dying to take those cool waterfall/sunset pics, but I want to avoid PS. I would rather spend more time behind the camera than my PC.

Arindam
Best advice for image quality is forget the filters and use PS. But if it makes you happy messing about with filters then enjoy yourself. You don't have to answer to anyone and I can understand wanting to be out shooting. But it's not about the quality of the end product.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 4:13 PM   #3

Disagree. If you blow out the sky -or whatever-, you will never recover data in PS. A graduated ND filter is pretty useful.
What about trying a circular graduated ND filter better than a plastic rectangular Cokin filter? Of course, you will have to pay for it:

http://www.amazon.com/Graduated-502-neutral-density-graduated/dp/B00017LSCG

Last edited by Ordo; Oct 26, 2010 at 4:16 PM.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 9:07 PM   #4
NHL

You can also get glass filters for the Cokin P-mount:
http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...dd&safe=active

-> 10mm is quite wide...
The P-mount can hold up to 3 filters thick so you can minimize its vignetting a bit if you shave off the the outer most part of the holder (which can hold the outer two filters which you may not need)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote