Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 25, 2010, 6:10 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Yea. I agree on the logic from both of you, the first time i saw that rumor i said the same, and called in a fluke, then i saw it again. so who knows.

also when they say "modified", that could also mean stripped down..

again just rumor mill, but they popped up repeatedly, so who knows.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 7:32 AM   #12

Well I love my 5D II and kind of think they will make the 5D III much better as far as fps, DR, color depth, and to boot maybe have the high ISO noise almost like the Nikon D3s, but they better do something because after looking at this (I won't even compare it to crop because from this it kills them)
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/...rand3%29/Nikon
but the K-5 for a crop is pretty impressive.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 4:16 AM   #13
Super Moderator

It depends on the next processor, but the dual-processors go into the 1-series, so fps will stay < 5, because pixel counts will increase.

The new chips will improve marginally in terms of pixel count and noise, dr, color depth. Don't expect anything dramatic though.

The biggest area where they really could make upgrades are in the AF system, video and pixel count.

But the reason for the question in the first place is that I think there are a lot of people waiting for the Mk3, but who are almost certain to be disappointed because it's not going to have the features they want. We saw the same thing in the lead up to the Mk2.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 4:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
It depends on the next processor, but the dual-processors go into the 1-series, so fps will stay < 5, because pixel counts will increase.

The new chips will improve marginally in terms of pixel count and noise, dr, color depth. Don't expect anything dramatic though.

The biggest area where they really could make upgrades are in the AF system, video and pixel count.

But the reason for the question in the first place is that I think there are a lot of people waiting for the Mk3, but who are almost certain to be disappointed because it's not going to have the features they want. We saw the same thing in the lead up to the Mk2.
I hope they do good with the sensor as far as DR, noise and color depth as the new crops are right up there now, not that the 5D II isn't good IT IS but just saying
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:17 AM   #15
Super Moderator

I know myself that although I like 'toys', I'm getting less worried by the camera specs and more about my shooting skill. The investment in time and learning has improved my photos far more than a camera can. I personally am now looking for better glass (f1.4 options in the wide, standard ranges) to take my photography to the next level....... not saying I won't be going for a new body when it comes out but it's not such a big issue for the majority of shooting we do.

Honestly, is it now going to make such a noticeable difference?
Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:31 AM   #16
Super Moderator

That's the point. I really don't think so.

The 5D series has been phenomenally successful for Canon. It sits perfectly in the portrait/wedding/landscape (and to some degree photojournalist) niche and Canon won't do anything to jeopardise that success.

They also don't really want to damage the 7D market, and definitely don't want to hurt the 1 series market.

So the next 5 series will just be slightly better than the current one, but really very similar.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 8:28 AM   #17

I think the one area Canon can and will put emphasis on is the video performance. If they can work out usable AF in video that will be monster. I'm not interested in it, but the market is. I agree with Craig - not much about what the 5d is that Canon can improve upon without damage to other segments in their lineup (except of course sensor performance but again I expect that to be evolutionary not revolutionary).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote