Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:29 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Waiting for 5DMkIII ???

It seems like there are quite a few people waiting for the next 5D and I'm wondering what you are expecting from the next version.

Note, not what you would ideally love to see, which is a1D in a half-size body at the 5D price.

No, what you actually think Canon will ship.

I think the next version will be essentially the same as the current version, but with more pixels, slightly improved high-ISO performance, and better video features. It won't be a sports camera with fast AF and high frame rates. It won't be dramatically more robust or weather sealed. In short it will fill the same wedding/portrait/landscape niche as it fills now, just be slightly better.

So what are you waiting for exactly?
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2010, 7:09 AM   #2
Super Moderator

30mp
digic v
slightly smaller
updated video
7D AF

these features have been in the pipeline for a while and multiple times, so they may be pretty close the actuality.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 8:28 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Remember to distinguish between what you want and what you think the camera will actually have.

They can't just drop in the 7D AF system, its coverage would be too centralized in the frame, and would be worse in that respect than the current system.

Last edited by peripatetic; Oct 25, 2010 at 8:38 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 8:30 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
30mp
digic v
slightly smaller
updated video
7D AF

these features have been in the pipeline for a while and multiple times, so they may be pretty close the actuality.
Yes please, that would make me a happy bunny I guess something similar is logical, will they go for the 7D AF which isn't far behind the 1D, I'm not sure, might start making it just too close for comfort in the Canon camp.....

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 8:45 AM   #5

nah, it will not shoot at 10fps so still far enough away.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:20 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Remember to distinguish between what you want and what you think the camera will actually have.

They can't just drop in the 7D AF system, its coverage would be too centralized in the frame, and would be worse in that respect than the current system.
no trouble distinguishing here, i won't buy one either way, just a bit too much to spend at this point in life.

of course it would be a modified version of the 7d AF for FF. this has been on the rumor sheet more than once, so take that for what its worth.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:34 AM   #7

Tough call on the AF system. Canon has ALWAYS been reluctant to improve the AF system in non 1-series bodies. They did it in the 7d only in response to Nikon. Nikon backed them into a corner. It's not the same thing with the 5d and d700. They're different animals - unless Nikon decides to follow Canon's megapixel lead. If they did, then they would again back canon into a corner. But Canon still wants to protect it's 1ds market in addition to it's 7d market. Given their track record with AF systems, I don't see them going that route with the 5dIII until nikon backs them into the corner again. Of course, it would help photographers' cause if Sony made a commitment to full frame. That would also keep the pressure on.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:56 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Sony has probably not even made back their development costs on the A900/A850. And even worse, the top lenses are made by Zeiss, so I don't imagine they are making much off those either.

Sure, the current 5D customers would like slightly better AF, but not sports-level. All most of their existing customers really want is 3 really good points - preferably more widely spaced than the current centered cluster. It may require a high precision set with surrounding assist points to get the required results. So 3 clusters with a high-precision point in the middle of each cluster.

I think the AF system will get a minor overhaul, not least because the camera's low-light ability is so incredible.

The 5D is a cheap 1Ds, the 7D is a cheap 1D. I doubt that Canon will change that marketing strategy.

Last edited by peripatetic; Oct 25, 2010 at 10:02 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:01 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Most people who complain on the forums (not here, the other place) really just want Canon to drop the price of the 1D or 1Ds, they don't really want a 5D at all!
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:07 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Most people who complain on the forums (not here, the other place) really just want Canon to drop the price of the 1D or 1Ds, they don't really want a 5D at all!
People want everything LOL. I love my 5DmkII, it does exactly what I ask it to do when I shoot a wedding or portrait shoot so really can't complain. Yes, it would be great if I didn't have to have a 1DmkIII for sports stuff but actually I like keeping them separate in case something needs to be fixed etc.

The D700 is a great cam, even so I have a wedding shooter friend who is going to add a 5DmkII to his kit (D700 and D300) as there are elements he wants....... no perfect camera is the problem for us all. I like having an excuse to own toys LOL. However, I've reached the stage now where lenses are more of an issue to me than bodies. I'm looking at the fast prime options for more creative shooting. There is likely a 24 or 35 f1.4 on the cards in the future (quite far), also 135mm f2 and 50mm f1.4 (Sigma). I will likely get the 50mm first and rent other options as needed. It sucks not having been working for almost a year, I'm not used to waiting to buy kit.... then again a year 'holiday' in Egypt hasn't been bad either

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote