Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 22, 2003, 8:58 PM   #1
kvk

Default New rebel or a used d60

I'm making the switch to a digital SLR from a film one. It seems that their is some good d60's out for about the same price. Give your thoughts on the pros and cons. D60 I think would have more features and a metal frame, Would rebel have better picyures and less noise. Let me hear from you. this is my first post.

Thanks
Ken
kvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2003, 10:27 AM   #2

It is my understanding that the AF system in the D60 had some serious problems. I've never used one, so I don't know from personal experience. You are asking in the right place, though, so hopefully someone with the D60 can say more.

What do you plan on using the camera for? The D60 will have more features, but you might not care if they are missing because you wouldn't use them....

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 10:29 AM   #3
kvk

Thanks eric for your reply. I will be using the camera for pleasure only. I do take alot of pictures and I do try to get creative sometimes.

Ken
Old Jan 14, 2004, 9:50 PM   #4

I currently own both the D60 and Rebel. Both are wonderful cameras but I feel the Rebel produces pictures with better color that require less fixing in PS. I know the D60 has a reputation for slow AF, but in my experience, it was never a big problem...just a bit slower. The D60 is more "substantial" and has the feel of a serious piece of equipment, but this really has no bearing on it's output. I would suggest that you handle both cameras and see what feels right to you...you'll enjoy which ever one you choose.
Dan
DTLoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 2:29 AM   #5

This is an interesting thread. I was actually thinking about posting this same topic, because I'm interested in digital SLRs, and I have a Canon-mount lens sitting around.

The main thing I like about the Rebel is the 18-55mm EF-S lens. The lens I currently have is a Tamron 28-200 XR. The wide end of that would turn into 45mm on a Rebel (or D60), and that's unacceptable. I'm limited enough with the 38mm equivalent on my current camera. Any less wide angle wouldn't work for me. The lens included with the Rebel would get me 28mm performance without having to buy a superwide L-series (which I can't afford) for the D60.

The thing that concerns me most about the Rebel is that I'm well aware of its limited controls, having owned a Rebel 2000 film SLR. I don't like not being able to choose the metering mode. I shoot in Aperture-priority mode most of the time, and occasionally shutter speed priority. My Sony F717 lets me use evaluative, centerweighted, or spot metering whenever I want to, whereas the Rebel forced evaluative metering in AV and TV modes. With a Digital Rebel, it wouldn't be as much of a problem, because I could always just delete a bad picture and retake it having adjusted the exposure. Still, that adds guesswork and hassle, and it would be nice to just get the picture right the first time by using a more appropriate metering mode. The "delete, adjust, reshoot" method also only works with static landscape and architectural photography. That is most of what I do, but I sometimes take pictures of moving subjects. With those, if the picture isn't right the first time, it can't be repeated exactly. The D60 is attractive to me becuase it gives more control over things like metering, and generally is a more "serious" camera.

So, basically, I like the D60 body better, but the Rebel offers more lens flexibility. If I had to decide right now, I'd go for the Rebel, because it's a sure thing: I can buy it new from a store or reputable online retailer. The D60 would probably have to be purchased on ebay. But, I'm not going to do this in the very near future. I still need to decide if I'm going to try to sell my current equipment (the two Sony, a handful of memory sticks for them, and my film Rebel body and the 28-80 lens it came with) and go for a dSLR.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 2:37 PM   #6

BUMP

UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 7:46 PM   #7
kvk

Thanks for the replys. I still haven brought either one and now with the PMA so close I might wait to look at the d75 and what ever minota is going to have. I still a little wery of the DR because it seems to get quite a bit of bad press in these groups. I hope it is just lack of knowlege on the users part. I have seen alot of great pictures from the rebel.

Ken
Old Jan 17, 2004, 12:22 PM   #8

Well, im not sure, but I know I got the rebel and I think it is a GREAT camera... I do wish I could switch metering modes, but all in all I think you can get around missing features easy enough
shoelessone is offline   Reply With Quote