Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 28, 2003, 7:03 PM   #11

Default Say what?

This guy is clueless. Has he even used this camera? And just who in their right mind would buy an 11 megapixel camera and record on a 256mb card?

Finally, what's the competition for $2495 that he's talking about? Polaroid making a DSLR that I don't know about!! LOL :?:
tnj4uga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2003, 9:38 PM   #12

Default Re: Say what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnj4uga
This guy is clueless. Has he even used this camera? And just who in their right mind would buy an 11 megapixel camera and record on a 256mb card?

Finally, what's the competition for $2495 that he's talking about? Polaroid making a DSLR that I don't know about!! LOL :?:
You mean $2,945? Probably something interpolated I'm sure he would not know the difference.

Eric
ewitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 7:37 PM   #13

Default CNET. We're not *quite* as dumb as you think.

Those of us at CNET who write and edit camera reviews have read the recent discussion about CNET's product briefs, and we'd like to clarify.

For a long time, we’ve been providing hands-on reviews of digital cameras, as well as brief first takes on new models.

Recently, CNET launched product briefs as part of our coverage of digital cameras. Unlike the reviews, product briefs are automatically generated sketches derived from specs and prices. The intent is to provide a general insight as to where a camera falls in the spectrum of current models. However, the product brief technology is still in the beta-testing stage, and has occasionally resulted in unfortunate errors. The EOS 1D product brief turned out to be one such howler, and we can only apologize. Clearly there’s still some de-kinking to do.

Please don’t think the automated product briefs are representative of our full, bylined reviews, such as that of the Canon EOS 1Ds (http://reviews.cnet.com/4505-6501_7-20610303.html). The reviews reflect the opinions of CNET editors and writers--all of whom have extensive photographic experience in both the film and digital realms--and are rooted in standard, unbiased lab and field tests. Of course, as always, you’re free to disagree with us <g>.

Lori Grunin and Aimee Baldridge
Senior Editors, CNET Networks Camera Reviews
lgrunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 8:21 PM   #14

THX for clarifying this "howler", it did seem a very odd review.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2004, 1:19 PM   #15
-jb

Default Re: CNET. We're not *quite* as dumb as you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgrunin
For a long time, we’ve been providing hands-on reviews of digital cameras, as well as brief first takes on new models.
Good idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgrunin
Recently, CNET launched product briefs as part of our coverage of digital cameras. Unlike the reviews, product briefs are automatically generated sketches derived from specs and prices.
Bad idea...

I'm not sure what value these "automatic" articles provide... other than acting as a placeholder template to insert your "Buy from here" links next to.

I think you should send Canon's newest cameras to everyone on this thread for evaluation. We'd give you good, timely, accurate write-ups and everyone would be happy. We'd even dispose of the cameras ourselves to eliminate the paperwork on your end...

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2004, 4:33 PM   #16

The link Lin Evans posted originally no longer points to the bad 1Ds review. Apparently CNET took it off their site.

I think it is great that CNET took the time to reply to us, and fix it. Thank you for that.

I do agree with -jb that automatically generated lists of specifications (with some glue text) is a bad idea. If people want specs, they can go to the Canon website. CNET can link to the Canon website instead.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2004, 4:50 PM   #17

Lin, since you have such an inferior camera, would you be willing to unload it at a drastically reduced price???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ummm...is that a DEFINATE no?
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote