Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 26, 2010, 10:50 PM   #1

Default Canon Rebel T2i vs. Nikon D90

Hi guys. I am looking to upgrade from a point and shoot to a DSLR. I am looking at the Canon T2i and the Nikon D90. I haven't invested in any lenses or stuff so all the purchases will be after the camera. I will taking varied photos but nothing like sports or stuff. So I guess the burst speed doesn't matter to me. Which one of these two would you recommend?

Cheers,
Kaushik
kaush666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2010, 11:02 PM   #2

The T2i is a better HD video as it shoots 1080p, and has the mic option for better audio. But between the 2, they are quite equal. The T2i is a little better at higher iso.

Now the D90 is a larger camera. And have more photographic features, with the little higher burst rate. 3.8 vs 4.5. So if you want the little more bells and whistle. The D90 is nice camera.

The canon is a better value, as you can put the savings toward better lenses. Which is the more important thing for the photo image quality. Build quality is about the same as they are both plastic bodies.

Both canon and nikon have excellent lenses.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 2:36 AM   #3
Super Moderator

You should really try to hold them in your hands. People usually get a strong impression of which they prefer when they do that.

Image quality is essentially identical, the D90 can be had at very deep discounts at the moment, so it's very good value.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 4:13 AM   #4

All good advice I can only add to that by saying that I chose the canon after I had held both, it just felt right. Both cameras will give you good results. Good Luck
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 3:00 AM   #5

Thanks for the responses guys. I tried both the cameras. I am leaning towards the Nikon D90. With the Canon T2i people say I need Canon EF-S mount lenses to get the best of the full 18 million pixels. So I guess I will stay with Nikon. What do you guys say ?
kaush666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 4:03 AM   #6

any ef lens will fit a canon camera the eves means it is for an asp-c sensor which the T2i has and so does the 60d and 7d. Nikon has similar restraints too. My advice is check what lenses you will need. Also remember that you are buying into a system when you get a DSLR.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote