Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 1, 2010, 4:59 PM   #1

Default Canon EOS Rebel XS/1000d Auto-Focus Problems

Hey all,
I have a Canon Rebel XS DSLR, and recently the Auto-focus feature stopped working, and I am not sure of it's reasoning.
When I try to set it to auto-focus, I hear a simple clicking noise, not terribly loud, I have to have my face up to it, and nothing happens. Also when I'm on auto-focus mode, it won't take pictures, and a yellow dot is blinking in the view finder, to the bottom right.
It's making me very mad, and I'm wondering if it's something to do with the camera or the lens.
Thanks all.
piplipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2010, 6:32 PM   #2

Sounds like the lens is either switched to MF or is having issues.
The yellow dot is telling you that you are not in focus.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:02 PM   #3

My autofocus stopped working after 2 years of usage. I went to a camera store to try out a new lens, and the issue remained, telling me it's in the body. Sorry for my newbie language here, but the lens seems to focus out properly, then goes back to blurry. It works fine in MF mode. In full auto mode, is there any setting that could have been changed accidentally? It litetrally stopped working right in the middle of a day out with the kids with no settings changed, however.

The camera was droppped from about 1 ft 1 year ago and it cracked the UV filter I had on the lens, but that seemed to be it, and it's worked fine ever since.

Any thoughts? Or rough guess on what it might cost to fix?
mjpaquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by piplipa View Post
Hey all,
I have a Canon Rebel XS DSLR, and recently the Auto-focus feature stopped working, and I am not sure of it's reasoning.
When I try to set it to auto-focus, I hear a simple clicking noise, not terribly loud, I have to have my face up to it, and nothing happens. Also when I'm on auto-focus mode, it won't take pictures, and a yellow dot is blinking in the view finder, to the bottom right.
It's making me very mad, and I'm wondering if it's something to do with the camera or the lens.
Thanks all.
I was having the same issue on a Rebel XS - 3 years old, had been working fine...

Would not take photos on AF... just beeped, clicked etc...

MF it would take photos no problem (though I was not actually focusing)

I googled the issue and found lots of suggestions on trying different settings, cleaning the contacts etc... nothing worked and I was resigned to buying a new camera or new lens

Turns out it was the outer focus ring at the end of the lens that was stuck - which makes perfect sense as it wouldn't take a photo since the focus ring wouldn't move.

Try this. Set it to MF. Hold the very end of the lens - (this is what focuses the lens - the larger grip is the zoom) - give it a gentle twist to see if it unsticks.

If it does unstick, put it back to AF and try taking a picture.

Voila! No reason to spend any $$ at a camera repair shop or buying a new camera or lens! (though I have a feeling many camera repair shops have made a killing by just twisting the focus ring free!)
swampyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 10:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
I was having the same issue on a Rebel XS - 3 years old, had been working fine...

I googled the issue and found lots of suggestions on trying different settings, cleaning the contacts etc... nothing worked and I was resigned to buying a new camera or new lens

Turns out it was the outer focus ring at the end of the lens that was stuck - which makes perfect sense as it wouldn't take a photo since the focus ring wouldn't move.

Try this. Set it to MF. Hold the very end of the lens - (this is what focuses the lens - the larger grip is the zoom) - give it a gentle twist to see if it unsticks.

Voila! No reason to spend any $$ at a camera repair shop or buying a new camera or lens! (though I have a feeling many camera repair shops have made a killing by just twisting the focus ring free!)
You are BRILLIANT!! I'm so glad I googled and found this post!! Thank you!!!!
LaurM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 8:15 AM   #6

My Canon 2ti auto focus stopped working in the middle of lots of shooting. I can shoot in manual but the auto focus won't work...It won't take a pict. If I switch to manual and get it out of focus...then switch to auto focus it does focus and will shoot one time and then doesn't work again. The camera is less than 2 years old
Bouncekwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:47 AM   #7

Default Thanks!!!!!

swampyankee Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's worked! Regards!
Caroll_COL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2015, 4:37 AM   #8

swampyankee You are great! Thank you so much for this post! I can`t believe It has worked... I just thinked for repair shop or something like this... You must write to Canon for this problem may be to post in official site!
petermaniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2015, 5:38 AM   #9

Default Thank you swampyankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post

Thank you so much I tried this it worked instantly!!
Karend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2016, 3:26 AM   #10

Default Thank you

I'm a week into a 5 month trip travelling around the world and my autofocus stopped working. I went into camera shops and they all said I'd have to send it back to canon or buy a new camera.

Your quick tip fixed my camera straight away, no fuss, no bother. Thanks SO much!
Kat_nap is offline   Reply With Quote