Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:39 PM   #1

Default Canon Xsi, what is the next step for shooting basketball?

I have been posting some off my basketball shots. I am going to still use my Xsi this season(i think) because I need more practice..I bought this Xsi from my neighbor in June, had 400 activations on it, now only 5000, all from me. So I guess I am saying I am very happy with it, and it has a lot of life left in it. But I am wondering what is my next step. I am maxed out at iso 1600, and these gyms are dark. I am not really interested in video, do I save my pennies for a T2i with video as a bonus, got for a 50D, or something else. I want to stay with Canon.
Currently
Canon Xsi
Canon 18-55 and 55-250 both (is)
Canon 50 and 85mm f/1.8
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8(arriving today)

I am shooting my sons and girlfriends college basketball, both freshman, so I have another 3 yrs. Then just general stuff.

Suggestions, and of course my wife thinks my XSi is a pro camera, and I don't need to upgrade, so my budget is limited, under $1000 for a body.

I don't use live view, eyes getting bad, I think my specs would be high iso, better focus system, faster burst rate.

Last edited by Mark2009; Dec 4, 2010 at 12:52 PM.
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2010, 8:17 PM   #2

If you are going to be shooting a lot of sports go for the 7D. You will get much better ISO performance and 8FPS and better focusing system, I know its a bit above your budget but you wont regeret it for sports. The Rebel series just falls short for this purpose. Too slow on the FPS and the buffer fills up really fast not to mention trying to track focus.

If the wife complains just show her the cost of the 1D MKIV (my body of choice) and tell her to choose that or the 7D.

If I had to choose a lens out of your bag for basketball Id be grabbing the 85 1.8
Just remember that IS doesnt do diddley for subject motion blur, only camera shake at low shutter speeds.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 11:44 AM   #3

Thats what I keep hearing, 7D...I just can't afford it, anything else someone could suggest?
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:38 PM   #4

A used 7D can be bought for about $1250, The next step down form that would be a 50D which can be bought used for about $650. Either of these will outperform the rebel series for sports but only the 7D and 1D pro body meets your request of "high iso, better focus system, faster burst rate"

I realize you are trying to work on a limited budget but if you really want good sports pics they come with a price. Before the 7D the price used to be a lot higher, only a 1D pro body.

If you cant go for the 7D you wont get much better results then what you have with anything less.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 11:26 AM   #5

You can get a 7D from Canon (refurbished w/90day warrenty) for under $1100 (including state taxes) with Canon Loyaly program. You just need an old inop Canon Camera of any type. I know I bought one. Steven
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:15 PM   #6

No doubt the 7d will give you the best lift for the money. It's going to have the most significant increase in focus system. Now, a T1i will give you ISO 3200 which is definitely important for basketball BUT I like the refurb notion for 7d. If you can get a 7d for a couple hundred more than t2i it's absolutely worth it. And, of course, if you moved up to say a 50d you could benefit from the higher frame rate. That's very important with sports too - you can't predict where arms/hands, etc are going to be - so often the 'next' shot in the sequence (when the shots are close together) is the keeper just because of that.

Now, having said all this - did you buy the tamron lens for sports work or something else? Tamron makes some sharp lenses but they're on the slow side with regards to focus.

Sports shooting is tough and you have to spend money to really upgrade the quality of shots. But given the focus system of the other xxxD cameras isn't really any better than your XSi and neither is the FPS, you're paying a lot of money to upgrade only ISO. I'd suggest paying a bit more and get an upgrade in ISO and at least fps - if not all 3 (which you'd get with a 7d refurb).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 1:05 PM   #7

I made the switch from XSi to 50D and have loved the camera every since. Now that was before the 7D came out and I would love to go to that level but the 50D is so much better for indoor basketball than the XSi.

I still use the 85 f/1.8 and 50 f/1.4 in our poorly lit gyms but now I can even use the 70-200 f/2.8 or the Tamron f/2.8.

If at all possible I would try to hold out for the 7D. If you are like me you will be wishing you had after a few months. But if you can wait and are truly restricted the 50D is a nice step up.
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 3:52 PM   #8

Thanks all. I think I am going to save my pennies, use my XSi for this season, and maybe the 7D will drop in price,,he,,,hee

JohnG, I bought the Tamron just to replace the 18-55, for outside mostly, hoping for a little more sharpness(and the need to just buy something).

I am still using the 85mm for basketball, have a game tonight, same old dark gym...but i am going to keep banging away.

Anyone have a grip I can buy for the XSi, then I can just think I have a 7D till I get one.....

Thanks for all your input.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 7:01 PM   #9

To convince you Im going to show you a progression of bodies shooting sports. I havent got any up from my MKIV yet. I also dont have any up from the XTi either.

P&S Sony

Canon 40D w/ 100-400L

Canon 1D MKIIN w/100-400L

Canon 1D MKIII w/300 2.8L

Last edited by JustinThyme; Dec 10, 2010 at 7:06 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:09 PM   #10

Oh lookey here!
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=970318