Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 9, 2010, 12:10 PM   #1

Default Can t2i vs. Pentax K-x

I have narrowed things down to the T2i & the Pentax k-x. Looking for something that will give good, clean pictures that both myself & my wife can use. Will be using to capture images/video in variety of settings, including cheerleading & sports. Of course will be using in the normal indoor events as well, like bday parties, etc.

There is a kit available for the T2i that includes the 18-55mm as well as the 55-250mm lens.

Or I can go with the K-x and get a longer zoom in the kit of 55-300mm.

Is there that significant a difference in the zoom capabilities from 250mm to 300mm?

Sorry if I seem ignorant on this, but it has been way too many years since I delved into the SLR world.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Pastor John
mtnman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2010, 12:47 PM   #2

For me it has to be the T2i it has good video and high ISO for low light. You might want to think about lenses I have to the two you are getting 18-55 is a good kit lens and for me the 55-250 works well but you may need something faster for sports. Best of luck
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 1:16 PM   #3

Both are fine cameras. For birthday parties you'll have to use flash with the kit lenses. You should plan on getting an external flash as soon as you can afford - that will improve your indoor family shots a great deal (vs. using built in flash).

Now on to sports and cheer. What type of cheer? It matters. For example if it's HS football varsity - you'll want external flash. If it's indoor basketball you'll want fast lens (f2.8 or faster). If it's cheer competition indoors then you'll need that f2.8 but LONGER lens as distances are greater. The only way you'll get cheer shots with kit lenses is if the cheer is taking place outdoors in good light.

For sports - what sports and what level of play? Where will you be shooting from? That will give an idea of what types of lenses you'll need to shoot them. Unfortunately sports (and certain cheer) is very demanding of equipment - some sports more so than others. Give me an idea of the specifics and I can give you a better idea of what is required.

Realize also that shooting video with DSLR is a lot different than with digicam - AF does not work well (or at all) when shooting video with a DSLR - so it's not like still photos where DSLR is automatically an improvement. Video in DSLR is still in it's infancy and has creative potential but it's more difficult than you might think.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 2:21 PM   #4

Pictures for cheerleading are of 6 year old. Will be indoors gym & outdoors.

Sports are for 6 yr. old as well. Will be playing outdoor soccer soon.

Shooting for all of these will be sidelines. Of course, would like to be able to use the camera long-term as she grows up & plays/participates in different things.

Budget is definitely a consideration. Being in ministry, I have to stay alert to the best value without having to spend a bunch of money later on.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 2:35 PM   #5

OK. For outdoor cheer you're fine with either kit and second telephoto zoom. For soccer at her level where the field is small and the motion is slow you are again fine with both.

Indoors is another matter. You're going to need a different lens. As I mentioned the lens depends on what type of cheer - if it's for school basketball for instance you can get close enough that a 50mm or 85mm 1.8 lens can work well. If it's cheer competition you might not be able to get close enough for those to work well.

For the outdoor stuff either kit will do fairly well. From a system standpoint, Canon offers you a lot more room for growth with regards to sports shooting. The AF system on the T2i is a bit better and the top end canons are a lot better. But where the difference really shows - even with the t2i - is when you pair the camera with a better quality lens - one with canon's ring USM or sigma's HSM. And you may never do that. If you don't you won't realize the potential of the Canon system for sports so the pentax is just as good a solution.

Just realize that sports shooting can be tough - while shooting U6 soccer is pretty easy, shooting full field soccer for travel teams at middle and high school level becomes much more challenging. And you start hitting the limitations of slower focusing lenses / cameras.

But back to your needs for now - you'll be fine for everything but indoor cheer. If that's critical to you then give more specifics and we'll talk about what lenses are appropriate now and when they'll start falling short.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 1:40 PM   #6

Thanks! This is great information/advice. I have decided the T2i is a definite, going with the kit.

I will be doing indoor Cheerleading pictures, so any advise on lens for that environment is greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 1:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman64 View Post
I will be doing indoor Cheerleading pictures, so any advise on lens for that environment is greatly appreciated.
Same question as before - what is the nature of the indoor cheerleading - is it competition (meaning stages and you're in the audience maybe 50 feet back) or is it school basketball where you can sit on the bottom bleacher and be 5 feet away?