Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 12, 2010, 12:28 AM   #1

Default Amateur trouble with my t1i

Hi guys,
I got a t1i a while ago, and absolutely love it. I recently ran into a little issue, and don't know where to start. Months ago, I bought a memory card, just 8gb, and it was able to hold thousands and thousands of pictures.

Recently, I emptied it for the first time, and since then when I go to use it, I am able to shoot maybe 32 pictures or so, before it tells me that my card is full. I checked and when I look on my camera, it says there are no photos.

Maybe I accidentally changed a setting or something, but I am new at this and don't know where to start. I would love to be able to take tons of pics without having to filter them out as I go and only being able to have 32 at a time!

Please help
hanasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2010, 12:59 AM   #2

An 8gb card is pretty good size and it should hold more than 32 pictures even at the highest resolution. I suggest you should reformat your card and try it again. Remember to save your pictures before you format.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 1:08 AM   #3

I always read my card with a PC and manually delete all the files before a reformat. Insert yours into a card reader or a USB adapter and read it with a PC. You may be able to clear it of all files and then reformat it with the camera to get all your capacity back.
nwtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 5:29 AM   #4

Sounds like the card maybe corrupt try a reformat only other way is gt another card and try that
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 5:26 PM   #5

Definitely Reformat the card IN THE CAMERA.
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 5:50 PM   #6

You really only have one card? Just get another. Try it out. If it works, try reformatting the original in the camera and test it. if it doesn't work, throw it away real quick.

and, again, really? you had thousands of photos on the card? i hope you've gotten out of that habit.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 3:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
You really only have one card? Just get another. Try it out. If it works, try reformatting the original in the camera and test it. if it doesn't work, throw it away real quick.

and, again, really? you had thousands of photos on the card? i hope you've gotten out of that habit.
Yes, really. I really only have one card. I am a student, am paying off this camera month to month and can't afford more cards, more lenses, more filters. Anyways, I uploaded them to iPhoto after almost every "use" just clicked keep originals. And also, for a period of time, I was traveling without access to computers.

Thank you guys for the suggestions. I will try it out and see what happens.
I really appreciate the help!
Old Dec 13, 2010, 3:34 AM   #8

Reformatted the card and it fixed everything. Went from saying I had 27 possible shots left to 1174!

Sorry to be such a bother. Still getting the hang of owning a camera (it's been a while), let alone an SLR like the t1i.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:21 AM   #9

I've been reading about how the canon t1i numbers it's files. according to the Magic lantern guide, in "continuous" mode, it'll go to 9999 in one folder and give up! in "auto" mode, it'll create a new folder every time the card is reinserted! or you could manually create new folders.

to me these are bad options. i recognize the 9999 limit altho i don't like it. once reached, it should create a new folder and carry on from number 1. that's bad enough in these days of long filenames but i think camera manufacturers are looking for backwards compatibility.

hanasola, perhaps you got caught up somehow by the continuous mode option.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 12:35 PM   #10

i had that prob once i always delete from the camara now for some reason deleting from the pc will leave the folder on the card ...though the card is emty the camara reads that it is still full...not sure why...
kirby is offline   Reply With Quote