Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 16, 2010, 8:31 PM   #1

Default Purchase Decision on Canon T2I from a Canon S5is

Hello Everyone,

Question for you all if you don't mind. I'm a system analyst and love gadgets and technology and am not afraid of learning how things work. In fact it's an obsession.

With that being said I currently own a Canon S5IS camera with a Speedlight 430ex flash but don't use it as much as I should. I have photographed family events and group photos and always end up being the designated photographer. Some family members seen the quality of photos on my S5is and since bought a XSi last year so now I use there equipment at weddings or anytime requested. At the end of the day I have to always give the equipment back so makes my S5IS not feel up to par when I do work with photos.

I'm considering buying a Canon T2I after boxing day when the sales hit with the 17-55 and 75-250mm zoom lens kit, I guess the one thing that still gets the best of me is how to adjust the f-stop values down and adjust shutter speed to blur backgrounds and take GREAT photos.

I would like to be great with a Digital SLR and realize they can be daunting to figure out, If I purchase one we are consdidering bringing in a photo company that also does day seminar's to teach specifically on digital SLR's so we can get a headstart on how to use them more effeciently etc.

My big question - Should I really buy a Digital SLR Canon T2i and get good with it, or does my current S5IS have as much features as I need for what I do and i'm just being greedy?

Thoughts are welcomed, I know they SLR's are great and take amazing photographs, I also have access to a 40D at work but haven't brought it home to play as I feel I would rather work on my own equipment instead.

BTW I like the T2i becuase there are times I DO want video even if it is not as good as a camcorder, so when I use the XSi or 40d without video I feel ripped off so I think that is the right model for me.

Extra Question : If your suggestion is to go for it and get the new equipment what would you but in order of preference? Canon T2i with both lenses and I already own a 430ex flash so I wanted to get the Bag, Batteries, and a good SDHD card.

I'm wondering about Filters, or how much a wide angle lens would get used also.

Last edited by Vince00; Dec 16, 2010 at 8:35 PM.
Vince00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2010, 9:28 PM   #2

If you want to improve your image quality the move will certainly help even in auto mode. As for the rest my suggestion is to get the camera and play a bit with it and get familiar with it first. The rest is realatively an easy search away. The topics of aperture settings and controlling depth of field have been discussed many times here.

If you really question the difference in Image Quality they have a gander at the set of photos at the end of this Thread. Its all a question of how far down the rabbit hole you want to go!

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...asketball.html
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2010, 9:52 PM   #3

The greater sensor size of the T2i will allow for better photographic effects like you are describing (background out of focus, etc.). It will also allow for better low-light performance.

It gets expensive quickly, though. A good low-light lens (large aperture) for indoor wedding shots can match or exceed the cost of the camera itself. I'd recommend a person study the "canon lenses" forum to get a sense about the type of equipment needed for certain applications.

You'll be glad you bought the T2i - it's an incredible camera for those (me) coming up from the P&S ranks.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 1:05 AM   #4

i have the exact same camera (s5-is) and too am wanting to buy the T2i.......earlier today i posted a thread about the same questions basically......this is cool we can share info we receive!!!
bryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:08 AM   #5

I have the T2i/550d with 18-55 kit plus 55-250is, I also have the 50 1.8 and I find this combination great. The camera is great and the added bonus of video is handy i am sure you will like it. Good Luck
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:24 PM   #6

Everything is sold out and I got a layaway card so I can be quoted the current price as it's cheaper at future shop now then what it will be on boxing day.

The sales REP pushed the 60D as a superior camera as the D line is better then the Rebel in everyway. Anyone have any comments on that? I find the stats are pretty similar and everyone loves there T2i so figured I would ask.

Again, I'm a amateur home photographer upgrading from a S5IS to the following :

Canon T2i 18MP DSLR Camera
18-55mm Stock Lens
55-250mm Telephoto Lens
--- ($999.00) at Future Shop ---
50mm f1.8 Portrait Lens
--- ($99.00) at Bestbuy ---
T2i Accessory Kit (LP-E8 battery pack, 58mm UV filter and a camera bag.)
--- ($99.00) at Bestbuy ---

Total Cost of $1197.99

Comments or thoughts compared to less accessories with a 60D are welcomed but I tend to think its extra money and un-necessary but don't want to make a mistake.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:44 PM   #7

THe 60D is a step up from the T2i, but the T2i is no slouch. They share the same senor (sort of), the 60D has a higher frame rate ( great if you shootsports), it is also a little bigger and has the nifty swivel LCD (not useful to me, but if you shoot a lot of video, then maybe). The T2i is a great lighter camera and can take fantastic picture ( I had one for 8 months ( moved up to a 7D)). THe camera and lens is about right, the accessory kit is OK, for the most part (US prices Battery=$48, filter $15, bag $25). I am not sure I would step up to the 60D.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 8:53 AM   #8

What the sales guy left out is the 60D is an upgrade to the rebel line/T2i not an upgrade to the 50D. If you can get it for close to the price of the T2i I would go for it. Keep in mind though that the 60D is much closer in size and function to the rebel line than the xxD line and its body is not a magnesium alloy like previous xxD bodies.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2010, 1:33 PM   #9

I pulled the trigger and ordered my stuff :

Canon EOS 60D 18.1MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-135mm Lens Kit and Bonus Battery @ $1,249.99
Canon EF 50mm f1.8 II Lens @ $99.99
Lexar 32GB Platinum II 100X SDHC Card @ $54.99
Lowepro Spectrum 30 Camera Case (LP35223) @ $6.99
Lowepro Daypack DSLR Bag (LP36267) @ $40.00

Total Cost : $1450.00 cad

(I will be attaching my exising 430EX Flash to the above.)

I'm excited it's my first DSLR, I've used others XS, XSi, and our 40d at work but never had my own. I'm upgrading my S5IS and it will still make a nice zoomable backup camera for simplicity.

I was SOOOO close to just going with the T2i and actually was buying it first and the checkout failed last night when there sale started so I had time to re think the idea a bit. I will be using my camera as a primary camcorder now as well since it is so good at 1080p video so I thought the articulating screen would be essential as I use that on my camcorder ALOT. As well as It only works out to be like $100.00 different considering i'm getting a battery as well included. Other comments where the T2i was smaller and felt cheaper also help stear me towards the 60d.

Biggest kicker i worried about is I only have a 18-135mm lens now instead of two lenses that range from 18-55mm and 55-250mm. I generally would leave the 18-55mm lens on the other one and keep the other in the bag so this way I have one lense going from 15 to 135mm without having to swap back and forth. But I keep seeing this lens is not as good as the other combo

Thanks for the help and comments all muchly appreciated. I hope I made the right decision <lol>

Last edited by Vince00; Dec 26, 2010 at 1:40 PM. Reason: Fixed lens sizes not sure what I was typing earlier had them mixed up.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 8:09 PM   #10

Nice set up, congrats. Have fun and stay warm!
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote