Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 28, 2010, 5:33 PM   #1

Default 5dMkII or another 7D

ok here it is. i keep playing with the 5dMkII and i like it alot, but i have a 7d now.. i love it alot. the problem that im having is should i just get another 7d or should i invest in the 5dMkII.. i know the difference in the ff factor and stuff.. but the price difference is alot.. i have a wedding to do in may and i want a second camera. so i don't really have to keep changing the lens so often.. so one will have my wides, and the other the 70-200 on it.. oh btw all the lens i have are 2.8.. so i would really appreciate any info..

All the MkII users i know will have a lot of imput on this..

thanks
lonefeather93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2010, 7:55 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I've got the 5DmkII as well as the 7D, they were my combo for shooting while I lived in Egypt for the majority of 2010. You can't beat the 5DmkII for people photography, combine it with the 70-200mm f2.8 and it is a stunning package. The 7D with the 70-200 is also great but you don't get the same results as with the lovely shallow DOF of the FF sensor.

AF is a little better on the 7D, but for the sort of use the mkII is designed for there should be no concerns.

Which wide lenses do you have? If they are not for full frame then this would be a concern as you no longer have a backup solution which is essential for any serious shooting. Also the price difference could go towards any other essential backup kit, 2nd flash, 2nd wide lens etc etc. I would consider a 60D as well to open up extra funds to other elements if you don't at least one backup of everything essential already.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:04 PM   #3

i have a 24-70 2.8 canon IS..but i was looking at the tokina .. i think 16-35 i can't remember..i thought about the 60d.. but no...i have the 7d now and don't really want to start down grading.. just going up.. that is why i was thinking about the 5dMkII.. i knew you would say something.. and im still waiting for Tcav so say his stuff.. i have listen to all the advices on here and did my own research also.. but i like to hear from people that have the right stuff to show me stuff that someone might not use..
i try to make it a habbit to learn something new each day.. from the camera.. or PS cs5, or a lighting thing..

i have the 580 flash.. and another one on the way... but i also have 2 of the nissan 622I MkII flashes for slaves.. but they also have the ettl. and the 7d does great on operating them..i have the 580 for the master..
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:08 PM   #4

I have a 5Dc and love it. I may upgrade when the 5D3 comes out, but till then I'm very happy with what the 5Dc delivers. I'm buying a 7D shortly to partner it. You can get a vgc 5Dc for around US$1000 now, and at that sort of price it's an absolute bargain (I bought mine new). Once you've experienced FF you'll never want to be without it, and it'll be absolutely perfect for the wedding. I also have one in May, an open-air beach wedding, and the 5Dc will be the principal camera. A second shooter will use the 7D for individual person shots.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:47 PM   #5

thank you.. i know this weekend i saw more of the 5dMKII then i have seen in a long time.. Plus well Auto show here in detroit brings out alot of media..I love my 7d, i just want to have a FF and i think that the MKII will be a good choice. for my pocket book for the year..
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:55 AM   #6

If for nothing else its nice to have variety to choose from. Each of the bodies has its strong points for different scenarios. Im currently selling of my 1D MKIII to get a 5DII as I also have a 1D MKIV, specifically to get a FF body as a compliment. I was on the fence deciding whether or not to pick up another 1Ds MKIII (had one in the past) as I love the 1D bodies and fell off the fence on the side of the 5DII for its better high ISO performance.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote