Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 9, 2011, 8:48 AM   #21

Just be ready to manually focus your 50 f1.8 in poor light. It'll take pictures in much weaker light than it can autofocus in.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:32 PM   #22

Id defiantly get the nifty fifty (50 1.8) or better still the 50 F 1.4 if you can afford to. The 55-250 is a good lens to have, I don't use one (have on occasion though) but hubby does and its great quality for the price, can be a bit slow in lower light conditions. Do you intend doing any macro? If so the EF-S 60m F2.8 macro is a super sharp little lens and reasonably priced, it also does well for portraits and in my opinion is near L quality. When you can afford to switch the 55-250 for a EF 70-200 F4L, if you can afford the IS model, even better but the non IS model is cheap now and stunning quality, very robust and can be picked up on EBay really cheap, other than that Id say just go out and shoot lots of photos and sooner or later you will know what you need for your type of photography

just thought Id post some examples so you have an idea of the quality of the lenses, although you would know what the 55-250 is like already

55-250

the nifty fifty

70-200 F4 L lens (non IS) with 1X4 TC attached

and the EF-S 60m macro

Last edited by aladyforty; Jan 23, 2011 at 10:34 PM.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:28 PM   #23

I don't know if it's the 70-200 or the 1.4 converter, but somehow the baby looks different in that picture
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:58 AM   #24

Hope it's ok to jump in here ... I just bought a T1i thru Amazon (supposed to get it tomorrow!! Wahooo!), and am wondering about lenses and bags, as well. (Am moving up from a Canon A650 p&s)

1 ... Good to hear the 18-55mm is a good lens. Am most interested in doing macro work and eventually would like to get a 1:1 lens, but since it'll be awhile until I can afford it, would a 50mm help me get closer? Any other suggestions?

Have been doing a lot of reading on different lenses/szs/mm's, etc., and am pretty much just plain confused. Any good online sites that can help a newbie understand?

2 ... The bags that Mystery 123 has listed above are along the lines of what I'm considering ... any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thnx...

"Creativity is about the play & a kind of willingness to go with your intuition. It's crucial to an artist." ... Frank Gehry ...
Katsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsi View Post
Hope it's ok to jump in here ... I just bought a T1i thru Amazon (supposed to get it tomorrow!! Wahooo!), and am wondering about lenses and bags, as well. (Am moving up from a Canon A650 p&s)

1 ... Good to hear the 18-55mm is a good lens. Am most interested in doing macro work and eventually would like to get a 1:1 lens, but since it'll be awhile until I can afford it, would a 50mm help me get closer? Any other suggestions?

Have been doing a lot of reading on different lenses/szs/mm's, etc., and am pretty much just plain confused. Any good online sites that can help a newbie understand?

2 ... The bags that Mystery 123 has listed above are along the lines of what I'm considering ... any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thnx...
Canon backpack should be good enough and has a lot of space as well.
It was on sale today for $27, now it's $36...
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Deluxe-B.../dp/B00009R6TA

I also ordered the 50mm 1.8 today.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 9:49 AM   #26

Are you also getting the 55-250 or just the kit lens, with the 55-250 get the 70 dollar canon 500D close up lens for close to 1:1 macro. For the kit lens and the 50 1.8, get the canon 250D close up lens. It will only give you 8 inches of working distance, but will get you close to 1:1 with the short lens. These are inexpensive option until you get a true 1:1 macro lens. If you go with the 50 1.8, get a step up ring and get a 58mm to 52mm and use the 58mm 250D so you can use it on the kit lens as well.

Bags are personal. Backpacks are nice, but not for all situation
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:14 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Are you also getting the 55-250 or just the kit lens, with the 55-250 get the 70 dollar canon 500D close up lens for close to 1:1 macro. For the kit lens and the 50 1.8, get the canon 250D close up lens. It will only give you 8 inches of working distance, but will get you close to 1:1 with the short lens. These are inexpensive option until you get a true 1:1 macro lens. If you go with the 50 1.8, get a step up ring and get a 58mm to 52mm and use the 58mm 250D so you can use it on the kit lens as well.

Bags are personal. Backpacks are nice, but not for all situation
Sorry to jump in but I don't understand the 1:1.5 or 1:1 terminology in lens specifications.
I read about it little bit but could help with real life example.
Thanks.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:36 PM   #28

1:1 is the mag ratio you get. So if your subject it 3 centimeter, it would take up 3 centimeter of the sensor. 1:2 would mean it would only take 1.5 centimeter of the sensor. The I just can do the math for 1:1.5 right now. Brain is not working as clearly.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 4:43 PM   #29

Thanks for comments.
BTW, the 50mm i ordered yesterday is canceled.
They said it's out of stock. :|
Seems like I need to wait for another deal on it.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 4:55 PM   #30

Default EBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
Thanks for comments.
BTW, the 50mm i ordered yesterday is canceled.
They said it's out of stock. :|
Seems like I need to wait for another deal on it.
Saw one today on eBay ... just checked again ... it was the 4th from the top ... w/warranty ... think it was 118 ...

"Creativity is about the play & a kind of willingness to go with your intuition. It's crucial to an artist." ... Frank Gehry ...
Katsi is offline   Reply With Quote