Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:48 PM   #1

Default Anybody have basketball shots they could share from their 60D

Considering a 60D, does anybody have any indoor basketball shots with their 60D they could share?

Thanks
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2011, 8:02 PM   #2

Mark if you intend on doing a lot of sports shots the 60D's AF just isnt up to the task as much as a body that was designed for sports. A 7D is a bit more but the first prosumer model designed particulary with sports in mind. Its AF system and dual digic processors with 8fps makes it a much better choice for BB. I havent tried shooting sports with a 60D but I imagine it cant be much different than that of a 50D, maybe not as good seeing how the 60D was not made to replace the 50D but rather the rebel series. I can say that its very difficult with a 50D even with good light outdoors. The AF system just cant track as well and my keeper rate with a 50D is only about 30% where I get closer to 90% with a MKIV.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 7:28 AM   #3

Hello!

Of course a 7D has faster af than the 60D, but to say that itīs really difficult to shoot sports with a 50D or a 60D due to itīs af is mumbo jumbo. It depends more on the photographer than the camera if you donīt manage to shoot sports with 50D/60D.

One of the biggest bird photographers in Sweden did a field test with the 50D, and he was really positively surpriced with the af. He said it was one of the fastest af he had tried on a semi pro dslr. And he had great results with it. This was before the 7D came out of course.

I shot sports and action with a Nikon D5000 without any problems. All I missed sometimes was faster fps. Itīs all about learning the sport you are going to shoot and learning the camera you own.

If you can afford a 7D, buy it. Itīs a better camera in many ways. If you canīt afford it, buy a 50D or 60D and a good fast lens. You will do just fine with either one of those as long a you have some fast lenses.

Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 1:57 PM   #4

Thanks, I have an XSi, and have posted before on which camera to get for basketball, and I know the 7D would be the one, I just can't justify it, I am shooting my son's college games for fun, as a dad....then I just do family vacations, etc...which means I go in spurts on usage. I use a 85mm indoors, outside I am happy with the performance of the Xsi...I go back and forth on the T2i, which is a great camera, but am staying in the "rebel" line, or go to the 60D, which I wish was more like the 50D...to me the 60D has the screen, if you were into video, would be good, i am not. Other than that, it gives you "a little" of this and that. I have been getting pretty good shots with the Xsi, but maxed out at iso1600, in well lit gyms, I do pretty good,,,dim ones,,,it struggles.
Today I am leaning towards the T2i, even though it is a rebel.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 2:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2009 View Post
Thanks, I have an XSi, and have posted before on which camera to get for basketball, and I know the 7D would be the one, I just can't justify it, I am shooting my son's college games for fun, as a dad....then I just do family vacations, etc...which means I go in spurts on usage. I use a 85mm indoors, outside I am happy with the performance of the Xsi...I go back and forth on the T2i, which is a great camera, but am staying in the "rebel" line, or go to the 60D, which I wish was more like the 50D...to me the 60D has the screen, if you were into video, would be good, i am not. Other than that, it gives you "a little" of this and that. I have been getting pretty good shots with the Xsi, but maxed out at iso1600, in well lit gyms, I do pretty good,,,dim ones,,,it struggles.
Today I am leaning towards the T2i, even though it is a rebel.
Hello! Well in that case I would probably concider a 50D if I were you. Maybe even a used one.
I have just bought a 50D, and I have no problem what so ever shooting at iso 1600 without noice reduction. I can even shoot at iso 3200 without a problem. At iso 6400 I need to do noice reduction.
Best regards/Daniel
Old Jan 6, 2011, 4:15 PM   #6

The T2i is a great camera, but on sports, the AF needs some help. It works and you can get great pictures, but it needs a better tracking function. I bought a T2i when they were introduced and shoot my daughter's soccer games for most of a season then traded up through the Canon Loyalty program (send a junk Canon, get 20% off) into a refurbished (90 day war) 7D. They are night and day. If it were between the 50D and the 60D, I am not sure which way I would go, maybe a 50D for less money.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 4:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by waoldrifleman View Post
The T2i is a great camera, but on sports, the AF needs some help. It works and you can get great pictures, but it needs a better tracking function. I bought a T2i when they were introduced and shoot my daughter's soccer games for most of a season then traded up through the Canon Loyalty program (send a junk Canon, get 20% off) into a refurbished (90 day war) 7D. They are night and day. If it were between the 50D and the 60D, I am not sure which way I would go, maybe a 50D for less money.
Can I ask, what kind of shape was your refurb 7D? How many activations? That was my other thought, I see 50D's for around $719....they are selling on ebay for that or more?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 6:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSProtection View Post
Hello!

Of course a 7D has faster af than the 60D, but to say that itīs really difficult to shoot sports with a 50D or a 60D due to itīs af is mumbo jumbo. It depends more on the photographer than the camera if you donīt manage to shoot sports with 50D/60D.
In sports photography the subjects move fast, its not just the FPS in question. The likes of the 7D and especially the 1D bodies were designed with tracking moving subjects in mind and as such the AF system is quite a bit more complicated for which a premium is paid. Im not doubting the ability of anyone to get great sports photos with a lesser body, but those great photos will be fewer by quite a margin. Ive tried sports with a 50D and a 40D and the hit rate was to say the least.......disappointing.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 6:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
In sports photography the subjects move fast, its not just the FPS in question. The likes of the 7D and especially the 1D bodies were designed with tracking moving subjects in mind and as such the AF system is quite a bit more complicated for which a premium is paid. Im not doubting the ability of anyone to get great sports photos with a lesser body, but those great photos will be fewer by quite a margin. Ive tried sports with a 50D and a 40D and the hit rate was to say the least.......disappointing.
I know a thing or two about sports, and I know it isnīt all about framerates. I never said it was either. Thereīs nothing bad with the af system of the 50D. Of course the 7D and especially the 1D is faster and better, but how many people buy a 1D just to shoot their kids sports?
If you had such a bad hit rate with the 50D then Iīm sorry but in that case it depends on the lens or yourself as a photographer. I had quite good hit rate with my former D5000, and with the 50D I get both better af and more fps. 50D is a good camera but there always going to be better cameras.
Best regards/Daniel
Old Jan 9, 2011, 6:04 PM   #10

Thats great Daniel, you should consider yourself extremely talented for having been able to do what professionals cannot and have single handedly undermined the entire pro body industry. Please publish how to do this for the rest of us challanged people so we can get a better hit rate and sell off our expensive pro bodies for the Rebel lineup. No sense in wasting money on an xxD or better as the xxD and the xxxD have the same AF system and the T2i produces better images than the 50D IMO. Im sure SI will be happy to hear the news, they will save a ton in camera gear.