Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 20, 2011, 5:11 PM   #1

Default QUestion on Moon Shots with Rebel XS

I'm curious how to take pictures of the moon with my Rebel XS. Which settings would work best with the lens that it came with? I have a tripod as well. ANy help would be awesome, thank you!
MissKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2011, 5:27 PM   #2

G'day miss Kay

Shooting the moon is fun - and relatively easy
Remember that the moon is reflected sunlight - so your camera settings need to be daylight settings

I use... Shutter Priority, 1/250sec, as much zoom as I can [about 450mm in my case]
I lay back in an easy-chair and no tripod needed, just a glass of wine ....
Here's one of many - taken in outback Australia near Uluru [full frame shown, no cropping]

Hope you get one as nice as this
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 6:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKay View Post
I'm curious how to take pictures of the moon with my Rebel XS. Which settings would work best with the lens that it came with? I have a tripod as well. ANy help would be awesome, thank you!
If you are using the 18-55mm lens, you won't get a lot of detail
because the moon will only fill a very small percentage of
the image. As Phil says, the moon gets it's light from the same
source as we do, so it is quite bright. You won't need to use
long exposures and a tripod isn't essential.

Moon shots tend to confuse the metering system of most
cameras, Because most of the frame is dark sky, the camera
often tends to use a long exposure. This results in a very
over exposed moon. I find it is best to use manual settings.
This was taken through a Sigma 70-300mm. 1/125s f/10 ISO100.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 7:03 PM   #4

OKay so if I were to buy a new lens for better zooming (which I want anyway) which would be a good one that is affordable?

and thank you for the advice!
Old Jan 20, 2011, 7:40 PM   #5
Super Moderator

It really does depend on what you call affordable and most importantly what you want to use it for apart from moon shots (which probably are not the biggest use).

The below is an uncropped photo using a Canon 500D and lens combination to give me 1680mm of focal length (for those wanting to work in 35mm equivalents that's 2688mm)

We are talking quite a few thousand $$$s for this sort of focal length. Going for the 300mm route at a maximum will give a far smaller moon unless you crop in on the image such as the one posted by corkpix.

This is why I say it's best to find the main use for the lens and then go from there and hopefully you will get some sort of moon shot from it.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 8:54 PM   #6

I want to be able to zoom in more on everything I shoot, mostly outside of my Nieces and Nephews playing and what not. Something with just more zoom than the camera comes with. Something good for landscapes too
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:36 PM   #7

I don't have a copy of my moon shots attached but I've used my 55-250 on my T1i zoomed to 250 and have shot at 1/250, F7 ISO200 with good success handheld and on a tripod. If you can use a remote shutter, even better or the timer on a tripod works as well.

What I do then is crop the photo and you can see good detail.....not as much detail as Mark1616's shot but fairly close to it.

I use this lens when I'm outside with my daughter (3 yr old) and its been an instrumental tool for getting candid shots I might not get if I was closer.

I paid 270 for mine (in Canada, regular retail was about 350 at the time) but I shopped around and just happened to hit it lucky. Check the net for pricing, etc. Even perhaps a used lens might be a possibility.

Canon 5D III
50mm 1.2 L l 24-70 F2.8 L l 70-200 F4 L l 40mm 2.8 l 100mmL 2.8 macro

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alainn...39490172728282
http://alainnbellephotography.smugmug.com/
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:28 PM   #8

Okay Thank you!
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:29 AM   #9

The more you fill that frame the better it gets and as Mark mentioned getting to that focal length can be expensive. I have seen some decent shots using telescopes that can be adapted for camera use and are a cheaper alternative. The tripod is a must to get clear sharp images and a remote release or use the cameras timed shutter as motion blur will take away from the clarity. This sample was on a tripod with remote release with a Canon 400 2.8L and a 1.4 and 2x teleconverters stacked for a focal length of 1120mm. Its also notable that you get more crater detail with less than a full moon so the shadows are cast across the craters. This was at 1/800 ISO 400 on a Canon MKIV.

Last edited by JustinThyme; Jan 23, 2011 at 11:32 AM.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote