Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 20, 2011, 6:31 PM   #1

Default Standard zooms

I have a Canon 5D and will shortly also get a 7D. I want f2.8 standard zoom lenses to go with each, and cost is an issue.

Q1 - Is the Tamron 28-75 any good?

Q2 - How do the Tamron and Sigma 17-50's compare with each other, and with the Canon 17-55?

Q3 - Do any lenses come close to the Canon 17-55 in overall IQ? It's more than double the cost of either Sigma or Tamron.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2011, 7:56 PM   #2
Super Moderator

What do you want to shoot with the lenses, it's not always only optics to consider.

I have a 5DmkII and 7D (+ a few more) and have the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. It does OK on the 7D, not always the most accurate AF but the results are fine, especially if stopped down a little. It is my back up lens to the Canon 24-105mm f4 on my full frame bodies. I had a 2nd hand 28-75 Tamron and it went back as one side was soft, if it hadn't been for that then I would have kept it as the middle and good side were pretty nice. I have a Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 and the Tamron was a little stronger in performance.

The Canon 17-55 is still the best performer but then at that price I would hope it was.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:05 PM   #3

I'm thinking about what you said about shooting my upcoming wedding with f2.8 lenses, which in any case is what others have been saying. I could manage $1000 for the Canon 17-55 if it solved all my problems, although $1400+ (for the 24-70) is out. But buying the EF-S 17-55 won't solve my problem, as it's my 5D which primarily needs the fast lens. I have the 24-105 and was going to use that on the 5D, with a 15-85 on the 7D, but the first is fixed f4.0 and the second will be around that in the range I'll be shooting.

I'm trying to find an affordable way of getting two f2.8 lenses, but there's no point if they aren't going to be reliably good. An alternative I'm considering is to get just one EF f2.8 lens for the 5D, though I don't know which one. I don't want to spend Canon 24-70 money on a lens which for me would have limited day-to-day utility because of where its top end lies. I know people with that lens and for them it's really a "special events" lens - as a walk-around lens the 70 top end is very inconvenient, especially in the dirty air we have here. (I could though ask them about borrowing/renting it for the day).

Perhaps a new specimen of the Tamron 28-75 would be good to use on the 5D? Maybe the one you had was dropped? - I can't think how else just one side would be soft - it sounds misaligned. But it's way cheaper than either Canon, and rather cheaper than the Sigma (which you say is inferior anyway)? I could use my nifty fifty on the 7D, as I could probably manage without a zoom for candids at the wedding on my second camera and the effective 80mm it would give should be fine. There'll be a speedlight to aid its rather clunky (but ultimately accurate) focussing in poor light, as it'll be after dark by then.

What think you?
Old Jan 21, 2011, 4:50 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Yes, the Tamron was misaligned so the others should be pretty OK. I think in your position I would be hiring a lens (or 2) just to cover the wedding. Having said that, I use the 24-105 as my primary lens for all wedding shoots and then a 2nd body with the 70-200mm f2.8.

At some events my wife has used the 50mm f1.8 on the 7D and it did a good job.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 6:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
I use the 24-105 as my primary lens for all wedding shoots
Rather bucks the trend of everyone saying I should use f2.8, but this was what I had intended doing anyway.

What do you know/think of the EF-S mount Tokina f2.8 17-50 (I think it is). Priced next below the Canon. They generally seem to churn out pretty good products. I wonder if it would be worth the extra over the Tamron?
Old Jan 21, 2011, 7:05 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
Rather bucks the trend of everyone saying I should use f2.8, but this was what I had intended doing anyway.

What do you know/think of the EF-S mount Tokina f2.8 17-50 (I think it is). Priced next below the Canon. They generally seem to churn out pretty good products. I wonder if it would be worth the extra over the Tamron?
I would always be aware of who everyone is and if they have actually shot a wedding professionally or just heard, read things.

Sure, f2.8 is helpful but for me to work at speed and convenience then I go with the 24-105. It can't be all that bad as this is the setup that is used by Mark Cleghorn (one of the top UK photographers with 17 Kodak Gold Awards). I'm looking at going for some fast wide primes to give more creative shooting options but as yet I haven't looked any further into this. Thinking of the 28mm f1.8 as a cheap option (for FF).
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:22 PM   #7

As I'm going to be using flash (with deflectors or umbrellas) on most all shots I think the need for fast lenses is outweighed by the need to to be constantly changing lenses. I think I'll stick to the 24-105 on the 5D and 15-85 on the 7D. On the 7D I can always use the nifty fifty for candids, and I may get just the one f2.8 zoom for the 5D, in the wideish-to-narrowish range we've been talking about. SO far I've only asked about Sigma and Tamron, and so far the Tamron seems to be ahead. But what about Tokina, who seem to make some pretty good lenses that are chosen over Canon and Nikon ones regardless of price. Their offering in this range costs more than the Sigma, which costs more than the Tamron, but is it worth the extra?

On the Tamron, there are VC and non-VC options of the 17-50 crop lenses. Any idea which is better optically? I don't think I need VC at that range, so I'd be driven purely by IQ and related issues. I see the VC version has internal focussing, but it isn't mentioned for the non-VC one.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 2:16 PM   #8
Super Moderator

The non VC version of the Tamron is better wide open than the VC version.

Not sure why you are doubling up on focal lengths with the two bodies, go for lens combos that give you different creative options.

If you ever shoot with a variable aperture lens than I would set that at the max aperture available to all focal lengths (assuming you shoot manual).
Old Jan 21, 2011, 3:01 PM   #9

Well Mark, nothing's decided yet. I thought it might be a good idea to have a faster zoom for close-up work, that's all. For $500ish it's well worth it.

In another place (POTN) I have my 5D up for sale. If I agree a sale in the next few weeks I'll pick up a 5D2 in mid-Feb when I visit Texas. The main reason for that trip is to get my 7D + lens, plus flashes, a shoulder bag, umbrellas & stands, deflectors, etc etc. So by mid-March I'll have a substantially smaller bank balance but a substantially enhanced camera collection!