Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 23, 2011, 4:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
But if you were planning to get the 7D, it really is not that much more of a stretch. It is a tough call. But for portrait work, the added dof of a FF will really be nice. But the classic 5D is a find camera. And would be a good add to your collection for your work.
No I'm not planning on getting the 7D for some time. what Ive usually done is sit and wait until the next model is released and then the price drops dramatically, I got the 50D last September for $800 aust where a year before it had been retailing at over $2000. I will not pay full price for a body ever again, did that with the 300D and 30D and saw prices drop real fast.

the choice right now is between a 5D classic or get the 10-22
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 4:17 PM   #12
Super Moderator

There are a lot of conflicting reports as to which has the better AF, the 7D or 5D2.

The 7D certainly has more features, AF points, etc. But actual performance? Not so clear. Anecdotes only, but a lot of forum posts say that the 7D is not all that great and possibly the 5D2 is as good.

I personally have never used a 7D, so cannot compare the two.

I have never heard anyone say before that the 50D has better AF than a 5D or 5D2.

I don't think AI Servo is terribly convincing on anything less than a 1D body and always shoot in AI focus or 1-shot mode. I prefer the camera to get a lock before shooting and get frustrated with the high numbers of OOF shots in AI Servo.

AJ - the 5D AF is fine for kids, especially with the abundant light you have. And in the dark of course you get AF assist from the flashgun.

If you find AI Servo bearable with your 50D then you will be fine with a 5D. If I were you I would go with the 5D and 17-40.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 5:09 PM   #13

5D would give you a new aspect of photography that you aps-c has not given you. And with the L that you have, it will be very wide on the 5D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aladyforty View Post
No I'm not planning on getting the 7D for some time. what Ive usually done is sit and wait until the next model is released and then the price drops dramatically, I got the 50D last September for $800 aust where a year before it had been retailing at over $2000. I will not pay full price for a body ever again, did that with the 300D and 30D and saw prices drop real fast.

the choice right now is between a 5D classic or get the 10-22
Old Jan 23, 2011, 8:00 PM   #14

Thanks for all the comments, I shall have to think about it and go look up all the specs on the 5D, see if it will suit my style of photography
Old Jan 24, 2011, 3:45 AM   #15
Super Moderator

Not that it is a consideration for aladyforty but from my experience of using my 5D, 5DmkII, 7D and 1DmkIII the AF on the 1D is the best and then it does go to the 7D. After that it goes to the 5D's.... is the mkII better than the original, honestly I don't remember but I do know that I did shoot sports for a few weeks with my original 5D and it did a good job, comparable to the 30D which I also used at the time. Sure the continuous shoot speed is lower but I got plenty of keepers.

I wouldn't worry about using a 5D for the sort of use mentioned, I love the handling of it and the results will blow your mind compared to the 50D as long as you use the right glass. If it is only to go with the 17-40 f4 then you won't see the benefit of FF too much, if you have other lenses like a 70-200mm f2.8 (my fave combo for shooting kids with a FF camera) then you will see some wonderful results.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:53 AM   #16

having used the 5d extensively, i can say it's marvelous for landscape work, and has always been considered an excellent choice for portraits, etc. but for fast action, it's not as good as the newer models... the AF just isn't fast enough, and the 5D is rapidly becoming outdated in terms of low-light performance. keep in mind, the original 5D design came out in 2005, and technology has advanced a great deal in the last 5+ years since that camera hit the market. that said, if you want a body to use for landscape work, there aren't too many out there that will produce a better-quality image than the 5D. the 5D2 will beat the 5D in some respects, but short of that or a full-frame 1D body, there's nothing in the Canon line that's better for landscapes and portraits. and you can probably get a gently used 5D classic for a a pretty good price... i stole mine for $1300 back in 2008, and have never regretted it.

as a side note, for wide angle work, remember that on your 50D, the 10-22mm works like a 16-35mm, so a 17-40 on the 5D would be more than wide enough for landscape work. i have a Tamron 24-135 lens that lives on my 5D 95% of the time, and even the 24mm is wide enough for most of what i do. only rarely do i feel the need to put on my 17-35 for a wider perspective...

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 2:34 AM   #17

Well I'm still pondering, cant quite find a 5D at what I consider a reasonable price on Ebay right now, also I like the higher speed shooting. I have recently used a friends 10-22 lens and have to say it matches my 17-40L for image quality so given that I don't do a lot of landscape stuff I may go for a used copy of this lens. I may also upgrade to the 7D in the future when prices drop. Most of my portrait and wedding work has had no complaints, if I go full frame Id consider it when the camera has faster frame rate and better auto focus
Old Feb 4, 2011, 2:37 AM   #18
Super Moderator

Canon is making their next product announcement on 7th February.

Widely expected to be at least one DSLR model in the list of new products, though of course it's reasonably likely it will be a XXXD model. 600D or something.

Certainly worth waiting a few days. :-)
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Canon is making their next product announcement on 7th February.

Widely expected to be at least one DSLR model in the list of new products, though of course it's reasonably likely it will be a XXXD model. 600D or something.

Certainly worth waiting a few days. :-)

Yes you are right there, plenty of time, I tend to get the previous models if I upgrade. Every time there is a new camera announced it means the last model drops in price
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:13 AM   #20
Super Moderator

Maybe you can get yourself a nice cut-price 5DMkII. :-)