Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 23, 2011, 7:11 AM   #1

Default torn 10-22 lens on a 50D or 5D mark 1

I primarily shoot wildlife and children in motion, the odd portrait and some sports. I have no complaints with my 50D but found Id like a wider angle lens that I have for the occasional landscape. I have been lucky to have the use of a 10-22 lens from a friend for a couple of weeks while she uses my 17-40L on her new 5D mark 2. I am amazed at the wideness of the shots and Im thinking maybe buy one of these lenses. HOWEVER, since I like taking kids photos so much I'm wondering, should I just get a used 5D instead and use the 17-40L?. But as I tend to do more kids in action than posed portraits so would the auto-focus on a 5D be suitable? I'm told a crop camera cant give the DOF effect that a full-frame can and this is another thing to ponder. Initially I had planned to just keep upgrading the crop cameras and was thinking down the track to move to a 7D but now I really don't know. I also shoot about 4 weddings a year and have had no complaints with the photos from a crop camera, any opinions welcome.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2011, 7:29 AM   #2

since you already have the 17-40L, I would say get the 5D. It will give you the wide angle that the 10-20 will have on your 50D. 17mm vs 16mm with the 10-22 on your 50D. Also if you a not planning to get rid of your 50D. Us that for the action stuff. And the 5D for the portrait stuff. And the DOF gain of a FF camera will give you allot more control over a crop body.

The 5D's AF is not as fast as the 50D. The 7D is not that much less the the 5D2. 1500 vs 2000. So if you were planning to get the 7D, I would just save a bit more and get the 5D2 and have the 50D as you back up. The 5D2 has a better AF then the 5D. But not as good as teh 7D.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 8:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
since you already have the 17-40L, I would say get the 5D. It will give you the wide angle that the 10-20 will have on your 50D. 17mm vs 16mm with the 10-22 on your 50D. Also if you a not planning to get rid of your 50D. Us that for the action stuff. And the 5D for the portrait stuff. And the DOF gain of a FF camera will give you allot more control over a crop body.

The 5D's AF is not as fast as the 50D. The 7D is not that much less the the 5D2. 1500 vs 2000. So if you were planning to get the 7D, I would just save a bit more and get the 5D2 and have the 50D as you back up. The 5D2 has a better AF then the 5D. But not as good as teh 7D.
I was hoping the 5ds auto-focus would at least match the 50D because generally the children's photos I take are the on the go ones
Old Jan 23, 2011, 8:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Im confused here, is the 7D better than the 5D2 auto focus wise or not?
Old Jan 23, 2011, 8:14 AM   #5

5d2 is better suited for action in the AF department compare to the 5d1. But no match for the 1d4 inspire AF of the 7D
Old Jan 23, 2011, 9:00 AM   #6

Quote:
5d2 is better suited for action in the AF department compare to the 5d1. But no match for the 1d4 inspire AF of the 7D

5D2 is out of my price range and I don't know if I could justify it for the type of photography I do. the 5D would be just a little more than the 10-22 lens. I just wonder how much Id miss the auto focus and faster frames per second for kids on the go type shots
Old Jan 23, 2011, 9:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aladyforty View Post
Im confused here, is the 7D better than the 5D2 auto focus wise or not?
Yes, it is. The 7D also does wireless flash. 5DII doesn't.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 1:54 PM   #8

But if you were planning to get the 7D, it really is not that much more of a stretch. It is a tough call. But for portrait work, the added dof of a FF will really be nice. But the classic 5D is a find camera. And would be a good add to your collection for your work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aladyforty View Post
5D2 is out of my price range and I don't know if I could justify it for the type of photography I do. the 5D would be just a little more than the 10-22 lens. I just wonder how much Id miss the auto focus and faster frames per second for kids on the go type shots

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 23, 2011 at 2:02 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 2:01 PM   #9

Is the 5d3 announced? That will do good things for the price of a 5d2.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 2:03 PM   #10

No, it most likely will not be out till dec or 2012. That is why I got the 60D to play with for now. 5d3 will be my next cba bug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa_jim View Post
Is the 5d3 announced? That will do good things for the price of a 5d2.