Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 24, 2011, 7:19 PM   #1

Default Canon Xsi

Why did Canon discontiue the Xsi?

"Creativity is about the play & a kind of willingness to go with your intuition. It's crucial to an artist." ... Frank Gehry ...
Katsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:53 PM   #2

Canon has to keep up with the competition. The XSi has no video, and 12 megapixels is not a big deal now. It is still capable of excellent still photos. I believe it is still in the lineup in non-USA locations.
ropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:26 AM   #3

Thnx for the info. I asked the question because at the time I was trying to decide whether to buy the XSi, the XS, or the T1i. Of the three, I was leaning toward the Xsi, but finding them discontinued on many sites (altho was able to find them on ebay, etc). Was concerned about buying a discontinued item. One of my main reasons for considering the XSi was that I'm not interested in video. Since then, I read a very good comparison of the XSi and the T1i here on Steve's,and from there made my decision to choose the T1i and hope to receive it by the end of the wk. Feel like my choice is the right one, and am anxious to get acquainted. (o:

"Creativity is about the play & a kind of willingness to go with your intuition. It's crucial to an artist." ... Frank Gehry ...
Old Jan 26, 2011, 1:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsi View Post
Since then, I read a very good comparison of the XSi and the T1i here on Steve's,and from there made my decision to choose the T1i and hope to receive it by the end of the wk. Feel like my choice is the right one, and am anxious to get acquainted. (o:
I have the T1i (500D), my brother has the XSi. Both are fine cameras. The
bodies are almost identical. The T1i has HD video, but I very rarely
use it. On paper, the T1i has better low light/high ISO performance.
In practice, there is little difference between them.

Good luck with the new camera. Don't forget to post a few of
your photos.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 1:36 PM   #5

Thnx, corkpix. I'll try to post some pix, altho the sizing of said photos on Steve's leaves me a bit confused. My files are huge compared to the appropriate sz for this site. Any 'easy' suggestions, other than just basically guessing the correct percentage until I get to the right size? (Did that just make any sense?)