Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 27, 2011, 2:57 PM   #1

Default New camera recommendations

I have been shooting and learning for the past 3.5 years with a Rebel Xti, and now am looking to upgrade. I have been looking at the 60D, 7D and 5DMK II (and now a see the MK III may be coming) . I have the kit 18-55 lens, the 55-250is, and the 50 f/1.8 for lenses. I am not too worried about the investment in those lenses. I am not sure if being an amateur I need to spend the extra to get into the 5d range - or if I would be better to buy a 7D/60D and spend the difference on better glass? Let me know what you think as I value many of the opinions shared here. Thanks for the help!

JW
jerwilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2011, 3:03 PM   #2

Just realized I probably should have put this in the "What Camera Should I Buy?" thread. Oops.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 3:17 PM   #3

There is no one-size-fits-all answer. What types of photography are you doing? What is it about your current gear that isn't meeting your needs? Those answers will help us determine whether investment in lenses or body (or something else) will be more beneficial.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 3:47 PM   #4

Sorry - I knew I needed to add that info but forgot!! I have mostly done outdoor/nature photography, but have been growing into portrait photography. I find the AF time is horrendous. It seams to hunt a lot. When around animals it is difficult to track with AF. I also really enjoy night photography and the ISO1600 max is limiting.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 4:16 PM   #5

I am curious to hear what John and others reply with but I too am thinking of an upgrade some time this year and am leaning toward a 7D right now.

So I do not own either of the three cameras but here are my thoughts based on everything I heard, read, and seen so far...

I am still stuck in the 50D world but listening to what you plan to shoot - Outdoor nature photography, night photography, and portraits sounds to me like the 5D would be awesome except for the price.

I shoot a lot of sports but no wild animals so I am not sure how faster a AF and how many frames per second you need for the wildlife or if the 5D would limit you there. All indications are the 7d would handle it very well.

If you are not selling photos and money is a consideration I would think 7D would be the way to go.

I do not think I would look at the 60D as it seems to me less of a camera than the 50D (except for the video).

While the 7D is only $500 more than the 60D it is much more advanced.

But from 7D to 5D it's another $1000 so I think that could go a long ways toward a new lens.

Just my thoughts.
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 4:31 PM   #6

The other part reason you have AF issues is the the lenses you have are not very fast to AF. And the XTi only has one cross type AF point and that is the center.

Any of the camera's you mention will shoot what you want. But you really need to get the right lens for the wildlife you want to shoot. Are you looking to get heavy into wildlife shoot, and need a big reaching lens. Along the line of the ef 100-400L or the Bigma. They have USM and HSM motors so they do AF faster, but they are expensive.

What is you lens budget. I would get a 60D or 7D depending on how much you want to spend on the body. And get a good long zoom for the the wildlife stuff.