Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 5, 2011, 7:53 AM   #1

Default Interval shooting with T1i?

As I understand it, the T1i does not provide interval shooting (i.e., shoot every X seconds or minutes for time lapse photography and the like). To those of you who have been using Canon DSLR longer than I, is there any history of Canon having added such improvements via firmware upgrade in other models? Is there a petition? Alternatively, are there any viable and inexpensive workarounds in the form of internal hacks or external devices you might recommend? This is more for play than anything serious.
Thanks,
Dan

Update: I just ran across an inexpensive external unit on Amazon. It is made by Neewer and identified as RS-60E3. It seems to have the functions I'm looking for -- has anyone tried this device? See http://www.amazon.com/RS-60E3-Timer-.../dp/B003N9HQ2K

Last edited by requa; Feb 5, 2011 at 8:13 AM. Reason: Additional information
requa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2011, 12:24 PM   #2

Dan ... I'd be interested in knowing about this too. Thnx for starting the thread.

...k...

"Creativity is about the play & a kind of willingness to go with your intuition. It's crucial to an artist." ... Frank Gehry ...
Katsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2011, 12:53 PM   #3

that looks like it should work, but the connector at the end is not for the t1i, I would check to see if they have the 3.5mm plug, like this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Timer-Remote-C.../ref=pd_cp_p_0
Old Feb 5, 2011, 3:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
that looks like it should work, but the connector at the end is not for the t1i, I would check to see if they have the 3.5mm plug, like this one.
I wondered about the connectors. It looks like they are selling this item through multiple vendors, and at least one of the vendors has a photo of the item with a mini USB plug. It seems to change next time I visit. Anyway, I picked one and ordered it. They all seem to be about the same price with shipping included, so I picked the one with the highest price/lowest shipping charge so if I need to return it I'll eat less shipping (plus this one was on my side of the country). I'll post an update after trying it out.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 3:43 AM   #5

IT#s best to buy a remote with REMOVABLE cable ... ONE remote for all cameras.

Best are wireless remotes/timers like YONGNUO or PIXEL ($45-$70)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzwaHMvXs7Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrpAHAXy9n4&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elXIuYebuC4

For some Canons you can use Magic Lantern firmware extensions - then you get a timer inside camera

Last edited by DonalDuc; Feb 7, 2011 at 3:47 AM.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:08 AM   #6

DonalDuc ... this is great info. Do you prefer one over the other?

...k...

"Creativity is about the play & a kind of willingness to go with your intuition. It's crucial to an artist." ... Frank Gehry ...
Katsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:58 PM   #7

I just got my new remote from Amazon. It does have the proper connector, and the first testing suggests that it properly controls my T1i. I did a simple test to make sure it would set a 3 second delay and take 3 shots 2 seconds apart and it worked as expected. I have not read the manual yet (pretty intuitive interface) to figure out additional features, but this appears to suit my needs as expected. I am a little concerned about the lack of a power switch to shut the remote down when not in use, and it does not seem to be shutting itself down. We'll see how long batteries last.