Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 31, 2003, 10:02 PM   #1

Default Just purchased the digital rebel (300D)

I am so excited. I found what must be the last stockpile of digital rebels in America, on line at circuit city. I just purchased the kit with lens for $999.99 plus tax and shipping. Supposed to be here by Tuesday of next week. Now I need to purchase some media. All the reviews I read say to just go ahead and get a 1mb card. Do you agree? And is buying the extra fast one worth it (for what ever size I end up getting)? Any manufacturer better than the other?

Any experienced users care to comment on other items of absolute necessity. I have read the battery should be fine for casual use so I am thinking I donít need a spare right away. I plan on using the camera mostly for family events and my daughterís school and sport events. She is only in kindergarten so nothing extreme but I want the camera and the accessories to be able to grow with our family needs.

What about extended service plans?

Any and all input would be so greatly appreciated. I am moving up from a first generation Olympus (not even a mega pixel) digital slr which has an incased lens that is not interchangeable. I thank you in advance.

One, sour, side note I just read on another post. Do you think Canon will come out with a second-generation rebel due to the February convention? Or as a response to Nikonís D70 that is due out next spring. I want to be able to enjoy the camera without having to worry that it will be old hat in only a couple of months. I realize progress will occur and can live with a new generation in a year from now, but Canon can't even keep the shelves stocked with this model. I hope it is just non-merited speculation.

I really am excited.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2004, 12:33 AM   #2

I have a 512 Meg card and that's good for about 60 RAW files which is the largest format. If it were me, for anything other than heavy picture taking, I'd go with multiple 512 cards .. maybe even multiple 256 cards.

Flash...the onboard flash is marginally acceptable...get an external one...I have the 420EX and it performs well

Get an extra battery. Walmart has 511 type batteries that fit the Canon DRebel for about 30 bucks. Well worth it.

After you begin to learn how to use the camera, you'll want to explore other lenses. Plethura of choices here.

Extended warranty? That's entirely up to you. I'm the type that never buys them.

I wouldn't worry about new products. If we wait until the next latest and greatest comes around, we'll never buy and never get the opportunity to enjoy it.

Have fun, be patient, read the manual, read the manual again, experiment with the camera while reading the manual. If you've never done any photography other than point and shoot cameras, pick up a good book on photography and learn about exposure and focusing. It will save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

Have fun!
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2004, 6:34 AM   #3
kex

Quote:
All the reviews I read say to just go ahead and get a 1mb card.

Sure?
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2004, 10:17 AM   #4

You may well get a 1Mb card if you can find one :-) Personally I prefer my 1Gb Microdrive.
T0M0S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2004, 1:47 PM   #5

Wow, my 1991 Packard Bell had 4 Megs of Ram and a 80meg hard drive. Its amazing to look back and see my cellphone or PDA have 10x more power, storage, etc in my hand.

I was holding my 1Gig Compact Flash in my hand yesterday and though back, man... I remember having a 80Meg Hard Drive. And it held everything I could imagine. Or you could even think of it as 700+ Floppy Diskettes.

My PDA has a 300mhz processor with 512meg compactflash and sound. The Packard Bell: 25mhz processor with 4megs(Upgraded) and no sound card and about 50x bigger then a PDA... Imagine what it would have cost back then to have a PDA... lol
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2004, 8:06 PM   #6

Default media

I recommend at least 2 - 256MB CF cards. I use SanDisk Ultra II. Check www.newegg.com

Pascal
vpascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2004, 8:09 PM   #7

All right, I referenced a one megabyte card instead of a 1 GB cardÖI told you I was excited.

Thanks for the two 512mb card idea, it will cost roughly the same and be much more convenient if something should happen to go wrong with the card, I will always have a spare.

What I am most interested in though is knowing how much time the high speed card will save if any?
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2004, 8:32 PM   #8

Quote:
What I am most interested in though is knowing how much time the high speed card will save if any?
Probably not noticeable unless you do a lot of rapid fire shots, in which case you'll be limited by the camera as much as the CF card.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2004, 9:16 PM   #9

I tested recently my 1GB Dane-Elec "standard" compact flash card against a Sandisk 1GB Ultra II of a friend.

For normal use there's no reason to spend the more money for an ultra fast card, you wont notice any difference between the cards. After taking a burst of 20 large/fine shots the "fast" card was about 1 second faster ready than the normal card.
Marc H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 8:58 AM   #10

I bought two 512 MB cards rather than one 1 mb card. I hike and shoot a lot on the road. If a card should go bad, which does happen ocassionally, I have a back-up.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote