Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 11, 2011, 9:31 AM   #1

Default What chance of a 5D3 coming out soon?

I ask because after much research I'm considering the 5D2 although the original 5D may be an OK buy. Id prefer a new 5D2 though, will keep my 50D for the action stuff rather than go 7D. If the 5d3 comes out soon surely the mark 2 model will drop in price fast
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:51 AM   #2

4th quarter is what I am betting on, so I will get it 1st or 2nd qtr next year. That way the mk2 will have had a full 3 year cycle.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 6:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
4th quarter is what I am betting on, so I will get it 1st or 2nd qtr next year. That way the mk2 will have had a full 3 year cycle.
Ive been temped to get a 5D classic but really want the Image quality in low light situations I see from the mark 2 model.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 3:28 PM   #4

i can't really imagine what a MkIII would offer in the way of improvement over the MkII interms of IQ... i'm guessing a 5d3 would incorporate more advanced AF, maybe some minor tweaks in other areas, but that's about it. rumor has it that the 5d3 might be between 28 and 32Mp, so it'd obviously make huge prints, but whether it'd offer any improvement in image quality is another matter entirely...

the 5d2 is definitely better than the old 5d in low-light situations,because of its absurdly high ISO capabilities, but if you've got the light, and can live without some of the "modern" niceties such as self-cleaning sensor, hi-rez LCD, video, etc., the older model will hold its own quite nicely. and, of course, it's a lot cheaper.

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Last edited by squirl033; Feb 16, 2011 at 4:10 PM.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:04 PM   #5

built in wireless flash, higher iso, even more resolution. And most likely it will be much cleaner form 800-3200 iso compare to the mkII. And a new AF system.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:38 AM   #6

I'm sort of betting on a 1ds mk-iv coming out first!
But the timing for a 5d mk-iii being announced at the end of this year sounds about right.

I always wait at least a few months after a new body is released to let the early adopters find all the bugs
Old Feb 17, 2011, 1:14 AM   #7

Quote:
But the timing for a 5d mk-iii being announced
Unless they provide a decent AF system wtih the 5D series, Nikon or Sony route seems more attractive for Full frame. High time Canon provided something like 30 Point AF system to 7D and 5D series while retain a 45point AF for their pro series.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:07 PM   #8

the weak AF is the 5d2's Achilles Heel. they didn't improve it much from the old 5d, and it's been a complaint i've heard a lot from 5d2 shooters ever since it came out. if they put the AF system from the 7d (or even better, from the 1d4) into the 5d3, they'll go a long way toward eliminating the only real flaws in the 5d series. at that point, the 5d might well be the top DSLR in their line for landscape/portrait photography, though the 1d4 at 10fps with 45 AF points would probably still be the champ for sports shooters.

either way, i don't expect a 5d3 announcement till either this fall or next spring. they let the old 5d run for 3 years before annoucning the mk2, so i wouldn't be surprised if they gave the 5d2 the same length of time, especially considering how well it's selling.

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

Old Feb 17, 2011, 1:56 PM   #9

You can forget Canon giving the 1d series focus system to the 5d. Accept the fact Canon isn't going to give that up. Not gonna happen. Here's the problem for Canon - they've backed themselves into a corner. They can't even give it the same focus system the 7d has - otherwise who would buy the 7d? The resolution of the 5d would give birders the cropping they need. Sorry but the focus system is the only thing the 7d has going for it as a concept (there are always small benefits due to release date but as a staple "feature" of the 7-series it's the focus system that really differentiates it). Personally I'd love to see at least the 7-series focus system in the 5dIII - it would be my next camera as I don't shoot as much sports as I used to and really don't want to go to APS-C (over the aps-h of my mkIII which is aging). So, while I would love it - Canon's track record says they won't give it to us.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:24 PM   #10

oh, i dunno... back when the 5d came out, it had the same AF capability as the 20d (its contemporary in the APS-c world), and better resolution, yet people still bought plenty of 20d's. the price differential between the two kept the 20d (and later the 30d) selling quite well. i expect that even if they put the 7d AF and 28Mp into the 5d3, that $1000 or so difference in price would keep the 7d - or its successor - selling briskly, especially among folks who don't see any advantage to FF bodies and aren't willing to pay an extra grand for the extra 10Mp or so. i mean, let's face it, for most people, anything over 12Mp is wasted, since they never print anything large enough to need even that much resolution, and wildlife shooters are gonna stick with APS-c if for no other reason than it gives them more "reach" without buying longer lenses.

the 5d series' biggest selling point is the FF sensor which is better for wide-angle work and bokeh, so landscape and portrait shooters will want to keep the FF format, but who else is gonna jump on the 5d3 wagon and pay that price penalty if they get the same tired old AF system Canon's been using in the 5d's since 2005?

~ Three Dog Night

Last edited by squirl033; Feb 17, 2011 at 2:36 PM.