Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:15 AM   #1

Default I pulled the TRIGGER !!! Its OFFICIAL ;)

I got a Canon EOS 60D with 18-135 lens, Canon Macro lens - 100 mm - F/2.8, Lowepro Flipside 200 Black Digital SLR Camera Backpack, Wacom Intuos4 Medium Pen Graphics Tablet, Two Transcend 16 GB Class 10 SDHC cards, Ultra U12-40757 HDMI Male to Mini HDMI Male Cable ....

... I know I'm forgetting something. Eh, that's most of it anyway.
I went over my budget, but it all worked out.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to help me decide what to get... and answer all my endless questions.

Organizedkhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2011, 1:03 AM   #2

Good to hear you've bought the DSLR kit, Organizedkhaos.

I hope you'll enjoy it. The Canon 18-135mm lens is a good starting point - giving you decent wide angle and telephoto in one lens. You'll probably find the 18-135mm initially easier to use than the Canon 100mm f2.8 macro (because of IS and the zoom flexibility).

Expect a long, but very enjoyable, learning curve with it. I've shot hundreds of thousands of photos - and still learning lots.

My advice is try learning and practicing one type of photography at a time, rather than dabbling in a bit of each. Eg First try landscapes; THEN try household objects, THEN people, THEN macros, THEN wildlife, THEN sports. (Perhaps something in this order is a good start).

Not that you shouldn't do a bit of everything (eg if some children come around don't think "I can't photograph them". But I think it's fair to say you can expect to pick photography up quicker and better if you 'master' one skill at a time. And you can use what you learn from one genre to another.

You might already have good skills background - but each camera and set up is unique and there is always room for improvement.

All the best. I'd also encourage you to share photos in the appropriate forums (especially one photo at a time in the 'critiques' section) - as you should be able to get some useful feedback.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:44 AM   #3

Thank you. I think I will. You guys are great
Old Feb 13, 2011, 1:23 AM   #4

congrats, you are getting a excellent camera. Now you just need a tripod to shoot 1:1 macros.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 1:55 AM   #5

I have a tripod but I'm not sure how good it is yet.
Mom got it for me for christmas.... but I havent even taken it out of the box yet.

Shoturtle, thank you for all your help.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 1:59 AM   #6

You are welcome. You have a expensive camera. And the macro lens it pretty expensive. I would make sure the tripod is a stable one with the lens and camera on it.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 2:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organizedkhaos View Post
... I know I'm forgetting something.

I think I remembered all my photography stuff in the message above.
There were additional items I got that had nothing to do with photography... i.e. Loving Our Kids On Purpose by Danny Silk and a vinyl dog muzzle from upco.com

I have a teenager.

(I also do dog training on the side. I'm dealing with an abused dog where I'm working on resocializing him with people and other pets...the muzzle is just a precaution)
Old Feb 13, 2011, 2:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
You are welcome. You have a expensive camera. And the macro lens it pretty expensive. I would make sure the tripod is a stable one with the lens and camera on it.
That is excellent advice! Yeah, I wont take chances... If it feels the least bit unsturdy, I'll just use the walk around lens until I get a better tripod.

Thank you for reminding me of that though.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 2:10 AM   #9

also you really do not need the tripod collar for the 100 2.8, it in not that heavy. And the mount on the 60D is very solid. Not worth paying canon almost 100 for it

If you need hoods for your lenses, get the ebay knock off's, the work just like the canon ones but cost 5-10 dollars vs the 30-40 dollars for the canon on. And you get free shipping. Just need to wait about 2 weeks as they ship form HK.

canon et-67 is the model number for the 100 2.8 hood and EW-73B for the 18-135. Canon USA do not provide them like canon japan or germany.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 2:17 AM   #10

That is SO good to know. I've been thinking that I need a hood because I take a lot of outdoors photography.
That is an amazing deal.