Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 16, 2011, 7:49 PM   #11

BTW i remember this pix from the pany forum
liked it then still like it
if your the same guy
hope your doing ok and enjoying photography
cheers
pete
kinda off topic sorry
also i would go for the 24-105 myself too esp if you have other 2.8 lenses and you are a not a pro level shooter
good luck in your choice, if your not $$$ loaded make it a wise one
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:54 AM   #12
Super Moderator

Hi AJ,

A couple of other thoughts...

1. The DOF advantage of the 24-70 is not as great as it's sometimes made out to be.

Don't forget that the DOF @ 100mm f4 is basically the same as 70mm f2.8, so there is some compensation in that respect.

If you thinking you will mostly use the f2.8 at the long end, then the 24-105 is as good. Of course if you think you will use f2.8 at the wide end too then that is something the 24-105 cannot give you.

2. The sharpness advantage of the 24-70 is not as great as it's made out to be. On a testbench (which is to say better than tripod stability) it's true that you can get a noticable difference, however in the field I would trade a 3-4 stop IS system against a 1-stop aperture advantage any day.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by deterpawson View Post
BTW i remember this pix from the pany forum
liked it then still like it
if your the same guy
hope your doing ok and enjoying photography
cheers
pete
Pete, if you're referring to my avatar, then yeah, i'm the same guy, thought that shot was taken with a Canon 30D and a Sigma 80-400 lens. i did used to hang out a lot in the Panny forum when i shot with my FZ20, but i've been shooting Canon DSLRs now for about 5 years, and loving it.

cheers,

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2011, 9:46 AM   #14

I don't know still :-( I have a wedding to do in October and the 2.8 at the longer end will be very useful, I already own the 70-200F4Lis so this will pair up well. I also like the look the 2.8 lens gives. Cant put my finger on it but it really is beautiful. when I get closer to having the cash I will have to have another think about it
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2011, 10:11 AM   #15

I suspect that answers it for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aladyforty View Post
I I also like the look the 2.8 lens gives. Cant put my finger on it but it really is beautiful.
I shot my last couple of weddings for 2010 using just a 17-40 f/4, 70-200 f/4 (oh and a 28-75 f/2.8 , former Tamron ).
Old Feb 19, 2011, 6:07 AM   #16

well its all off again, I got to use a canon 5D mark 2 today with my 70-200F4Lis and the effect was as good as having a 2.8 lens. think Id better save for that camera instead. Cant get over the beautiful smooth look of the photos
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by aladyforty View Post
well its all off again, I got to use a canon 5D mark 2 today with my 70-200F4Lis and the effect was as good as having a 2.8 lens. think Id better save for that camera instead. Cant get over the beautiful smooth look of the photos
I perfectly understand the agonies of decision making, especially when it comes to 24-70vs24-105 lenses . I think for Canon users this must be the most important & difficult decision to make.
I still remember the end number of days I spent on the net reading reviews and forum topics about 24-70 vs 24-105 decision ... I too have a cropped sensor camera (7D) ... last year I decided to go FF by 2012 and worked towards replacing all my EF-S lenses with L lenses.
Anyway, after many days of agony I finally went with the 24-105, because of its versatility, reach & IS ... I bought it a few months before going on a holiday to UK with my family ... I liked the results so much that I used only the 24-105 during the whole trip, except for a fews shots (with the 100-400) in the London & Edinburgh zoo's ... the IS on 24-105 works so amazingly ... I have taken over 10000 photos while travelling in the BIG tour buses in UK (and the Padolino trains from (London-Glasgow-Edinburgh) ... I don't think I would have got so many keepers if I had gone with a non-IS lens.
It's been almost a year I since I go the 24-105 and I've never had "not wide enough" issue with it ... I've also taken several large group photos in my office.
According to Canon rumours soon there will be a MK II verison of 24-70 f/2.8 but no IS and possibily MK II version of 24-105 f/4 IS as well ... as far as I'm concerned I will only go with lenses that have IS, as I've seen what they can do from a moving vehicle.
Current Gear: Canon 7D+BG-E7 Battery Grip & 60D with EF 24-105 f/4 L IS; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II; EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS; EF 100 f2.8 L IS; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon Speedlite 430 EX II; Metz 58 AF-1; Canon RC-5 Wireless Remote Controller & RS-80N3 Remote Switch; Manfrotto 190CX PRO4 with Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Ball Head; Kenko Extension Tube Set; B+W UV & Polorizing filters
rienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rienz View Post
I perfectly understand the agonies of decision making, especially when it comes to 24-70vs24-105 lenses . I think for Canon users this must be the most important & difficult decision to make.
I still remember the end number of days I spent on the net reading reviews and forum topics about 24-70 vs 24-105 decision ... I too have a cropped sensor camera (7D) ... last year I decided to go FF by 2012 and worked towards replacing all my EF-S lenses with L lenses.
Anyway, after many days of agony I finally went with the 24-105, because of its versatility, reach & IS ... I bought it a few months before going on a holiday to UK with my family ... I liked the results so much that I used only the 24-105 during the whole trip, except for a fews shots (with the 100-400) in the London & Edinburgh zoo's ... the IS on 24-105 works so amazingly ... I have taken over 10000 photos while travelling in the BIG tour buses in UK (and the Padolino trains from (London-Glasgow-Edinburgh) ... I don't think I would have got so many keepers if I had gone with a non-IS lens.
It's been almost a year I since I go the 24-105 and I've never had "not wide enough" issue with it ... I've also taken several large group photos in my office.
According to Canon rumours soon there will be a MK II verison of 24-70 f/2.8 but no IS and possibily MK II version of 24-105 f/4 IS as well ... as far as I'm concerned I will only go with lenses that have IS, as I've seen what they can do from a moving vehicle.

Thanks for the reply, to be honest, as much as I liked using the 5D mark 2 today (on loan from a friend) I really cant justify the expense of it and the lenses as well right now. I'm still very keen on the 24-70L. As for IS, yes its very nice but I did very well without it before I got the IS lenses I now own, to be honest the only one I think I just could not do without IS on is my 100-400. Although I really liked the 5D2 I found it slow and sluggish and may wait for the next model, I like my higher speeds for the sort of stuff I photograph. Im about half way to having the money for this new lens and will sit back and read all I can, look at a lot of photos then make up my mind on which lens or maybe get the 5D2, Im very undecided at the moment. Unfortunately I drive my hubby nuts with my constant indecision where cameras and lenses are concerned

Last edited by aladyforty; Feb 20, 2011 at 9:14 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 6:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
It is those 2 lenses that go almost everywhere with me (and the fabulous 50$ 50mm).
Sadly, that $50 50mm is now $125.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 9:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirl033 View Post
i'd go with the 24-105. it's got a MUCH more versatile range for a "walkabout" lens. sure, on a crop body it's "only" 38mm at the wide end, but as you said, you aren't planning a lot of landscape work with it, and it gives you almost 170mm at the other end compared to only 112mm for the 24-70 - better for candids and portraits. unless you plan on doing a lot of really low-light stuff, you probably won't need the f/2.8 anyway, and the 24-105 has IS, which really enhances low-light shooting... in fact, f/4 with IS is about as good as f/2.8 without it, so there really isn't that much advantage to the f/2.8 anyway.
I still don't have the funds for the 24-70 and I am wondering will I get a nice DOF shot out of the 24-105 on a crop camera, I guess if I step back a little more it would throw the background out nicely? but the 24-70 is my preferred option

Last edited by aladyforty; Feb 25, 2011 at 1:06 AM.